R8247 V2 and short circuits?

gilbo2

One of my 10yr old R8247 V1 accessory decoders failed today after some short circuits, even though I've got a snubber circuit right next to it :classic_unsure:.

Are the V2's more resilient against shorts than the V1's were?

The hardware is the same, just a firmware change to enable the advanced functionality.

It is wise to run separate track and accessory buses, then if a derail shorts the track the points/signal bus is not affected. If running both bus from a single controller then a circuit breaker is advised in the track bus.

A snubber is no guarantee of protection against spikes but certainly helps damp them.

Ok, that's a shame. Do you think its worth sending it back for repair or just get a new one?

I do need to think about using my eLink for the points now, trouble is I've run out of USB ports. USB splitters were always frowned upon unless things have changed these days?

Worth asking customer services, but if 10 years old they will likely baulk.

USB splitters were frowned upon but you could try a powered hub. I simply added a multi-port PCi card to my tower PC, but not so easy on a laptop.

9 minutes ago, 96RAF said:

Worth asking customer services, but if 10 years old they will likely baulk.

USB splitters were frowned upon but you could try a powered hub. I simply added a multi-port PCi card to my tower PC, but not so easy on a laptop.

Ok, thank you