Question on axle diameter

If changing wheels to any other make it may not be just the diameter that could be the problem. Romfords for example have a square hole in the wheel to assist quartering, while some others are shouldered where the wheel fits on.

Thanks all, the wheels are on a motor bogie which is why I need to retain the original axles and they are 1.7mm diameter. No-one has replacements without traction tyres and I need to ditch them to fit extra pick-ups so I wondered what else was available with smooth wheels. 

Hi Rana

Have you thought of running a couple of wires from the front Bogie light board to the motor to give extra pickups.

It is something I am contemplating on a stripped out DCC converted model I have on my workbench. 

Hi Rana,

Now I understand why not get a replacement set of drive wheels I know it means you would have 2 sets of wheels with tyres but it would give you  2 sets of plain wheels

AC model on ebay have a set. X6246

Thanks for all the suggestions. I found a bag of Jouef HO metal wheels I bought years ago to improve the running of my Playcraft stock, and the axles are the exact right diameter. On the first motor bogie I changed all the wheels for Jouef ones as there was a 0.3mm discrepancy with the diameter. This left me with two plain wheels without traction tyres which were happily insulated so replaced the ones with traction tyres on a second bogie. I have a few more to do but have plenty of Jouef wheels. 

These are the Eurostar motor bogie, which I bought several of as they were silly cheap at around £6 a go and I have a few DMU kits to build at some point, these are the correct wheelbase. I think they are £8.99 off Hornby at the moment. I had a short on one and traced it to the contacts from the wheels pressing on the metal body of the motor. 

The magnets in these motors are something else, they collect all my mini screwdrivers and other tools given half a chance!