Powering track using Hornby eLink

Good morning all, having had railmaster finally fail on me, I have bought myself an HM7000 decoder to try. I have two issues:

1.  Looking at the list of compatible power sources, I am assuming I cannot use the elite. Am I correct? All  I am getting on my tablet is 'searching for host device' The scan did find the decoder though so there must be power there.

2. There is a purple wire on the harness that is not connected to the decoder, is this normal?

TIA

Ian

Edited by RDS
To change title to eLink from Elite

The Elite is the perfect controller for this purpose.

The tablet has found your decoder and will make that the host once you have gone through the decoder set up process.

Yes, the 'loose' purple wire is common to all 8 pin decoders.

The purple wire should be connected to the decoder but not the 8-pin plug. It is the switched negative for hardware function 4 which is operated by function key F22 on this TXS decoder. The green wire is hardware function 3 which is operated by F21. Hardware functions 1 and 2 (white and yellow wires) are for direction lighting operated by F0.

With the Elite you use its Track power output to run your TXS decoders. The Elite is clearly listed in the compatible power supply document here - https://d63oxfkn1m8sf.cloudfront.net/3216/8717/6518/HM7000-TXS_TRI-MODE_-_Compatible_Controllers_and_Power_Supplies.pdf

Odd that you think it is not suitable.

My apologies, I am a complete buffoon.  It is not the elite I am using but the elink. I have double checked on the link supplied by 96RAF but cant see it listed.  Thank you for the info on the unconnected wire though.  I have tried un-installing and then re-installing the app but still have the same issue in that the app is looking for a host device.  I am guessing it is the elink that is a problem for some reason although I cannot see why.

The eLink should work perfectly well as a power supply. It's obviously normally used with a RailMaster PC attached, but I've often used my eLink to power the track without bothering to connect the PC when using the app to download profiles etc.

Regards, John

2 hours ago, Ian-1313186 said:

My apologies, I am a complete buffoon.  It is not the elite I am using but the elink. I have double checked on the link supplied by 96RAF but cant see it listed.  Thank you for the info on the unconnected wire though.  I have tried un-installing and then re-installing the app but still have the same issue in that the app is looking for a host device.  I am guessing it is the elink that is a problem for some reason although I cannot see why.

It is fine. I have asked for the listing to be amended.

• RDS changed the title to Powering track using Hornby eLink
11 minutes ago, Ian-1313186 said:

Thanks all.  Pleased to hear that but I now have an issue with the decoder itself but that cant be solved by the forum.  Email sent to customer services

Don’t be to quick to dismiss the help and problem solving the members of this forum can give. They have built up a lot of knowledge between them since HM7000 was launched. Every problem posted on here and its resolution will help somebody else, even if the resolution is sending the item back to Hornby. I’m sure a lot of members reading your post are now wondering what the issue is with the decoder.

@Ian-1313186 - be aware test team members are on this forum and any new decoder quirk can quickly be flagged by them back to Hornby for investigation.

From memory somewhere in the documentation it says you can power the track with the output of any NMRA compliant controller.

38 minutes ago, Ian-1313186 said:

Thanks 96RAF my decoder keeps asking for a reset code which I don't have.  I have emailed customer support as directed by the aoo

a4c13800xxxx where xxxx is your last 4 characters in lower case, else use Reset1234 as written.