Repeating myself: should I repost content where images were lost?

Many of us older members may recall a few years back there was a bit of technical hiccup hereabouts. The result was a load of uploaded photos were lost, never to be seen again. The affected threads are still there, missing their images.

Luckily, I don't delete my images. Unfortunately, despite the new snazzy forum, I can’t (currently) go back and edit those posts to replace the lost pictures.

So, would there be any objection to members, should they wish to, recreating older broken posts under this new forum? 

Thoughts?

• Like 1

Gidday Heather, as you know I'm a very new member here, but I've noticed what you've just said - old posts missing their photos. I've found these posts a bit pointless now so I'd be happy to see them re-done. It's a pity that we can't go back and simply edit the original posts. I'd like to do the same to a couple of my posts too. I didn't realize that some of the photos I've posted take up about 6-7Mb of memory. I'd like to replace them with other photos but I can't.

Regards, Jeff.

No problem with you re-posting lost images, Heather. We were hoping that they could be retrieved, but it appears not, so we don't have a problem with them being resubmitted.

• Like 1

Jeff, the time limit on editing was brought about because some members were changing their posts, giving an entirely different context to some threads. It brought about bans and deletions. A regretful but necessary recourse.

• Thanks 1

I’m okay with the editing limit. Other forums have unlimited time for edits, which I occasionally use to correct a typo I missed on first proof reading, but I can see some might abuse the ability. I shall just accept I will make silly mistakes. 😉 

If the general feeling is it’s okay to create new threads to replace broken ones, then I will spend a bit of time updating things. I won’t rush at it, probably aiming for one or two a week as my time permits. Unless I think it’s important, or someone suggests I should, I don’t think I’ll bother with work-in-progress threads. Finished model threads will be my first order of business.

@Ratch - just out of interest, do the mods have the ability to delete threads? Of course, that would lose comments and discussions, so it’s probably not an avenue to head down.

Thanks Ratch, yeah I understood that to be the reason. In my case I wouldn't be changing the text (except for grammar and spelling), just replacing very large photos with smaller photos that don't take up so much memory.

But I acknowledge the mods aren't mind readers and hence one rule for all is the go. I hope I don't exceed my capacity limit. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Heather Kavanagh said:

I’m okay with the editing limit. Other forums have unlimited time for edits, which I occasionally use to correct a typo I missed on first proof reading, but I can see some might abuse the ability. I shall just accept I will make silly mistakes. 😉 

If the general feeling is it’s okay to create new threads to replace broken ones, then I will spend a bit of time updating things. I won’t rush at it, probably aiming for one or two a week as my time permits. Unless I think it’s important, or someone suggests I should, I don’t think I’ll bother with work-in-progress threads. Finished model threads will be my first order of business.

@Ratch - just out of interest, do the mods have the ability to delete threads? Of course, that would lose comments and discussions, so it’s probably not an avenue to head down.

New threads are fine Heather 😎

Yes we can delete and hide threads, but we only tend to delete Spammers stuff.

1 hour ago, Dominic Thomas said:

I don’t use Flickr and am unsure of any other options.

I believe there’s at least a couple of free photo hosts. Perhaps others may be able to suggest suitable places. Linking to your images, rather than uploading through the forum software, doesn’t add anything to your existing server load, as it were. I think it’s the best way forward.

There’s a lengthy thread on Britmodeller (yes, I know, sorry) about photo uploading and linking. The forum owner there made it policy that linking images is the only way to save costs of hosting thousands of images on their server. If you’re not a member over there, perhaps you could DM me and I’ll compile some information you might find helpful.

15 minutes ago, Heather Kavanagh said:

I believe there’s at least a couple of free photo hosts. Perhaps others may be able to suggest suitable places. Linking to your images, rather than uploading through the forum software, doesn’t add anything to your existing server load, as it were. I think it’s the best way forward.

There’s a lengthy thread on Britmodeller (yes, I know, sorry) about photo uploading and linking. The forum owner there made it policy that linking images is the only way to save costs of hosting thousands of images on their server. If you’re not a member over there, perhaps you could DM me and I’ll compile some information you might find helpful.

I’ve found it neigh on impossible to publish a photo on Britmodeller that I eventually gave up and haven’t returned, which after 30 years with a global IT company is saying something! 🤦‍♂️

So, if you can share a simple “How To” on this that would be awesome, as lengthy threads on something which should be so simple speaks volumes 😉😁

33 minutes ago, Tour de Airfix said:

So, if you can share a simple “How To” on this that would be awesome, as lengthy threads on something which should be so simple speaks volumes 😉😁

Different sites use different systems. The Airfix Tribute Forum, like Britmodeller and other modelling sites, does not store images on it's server. I use Flickr by copying and pasting the BBCode from there into my posts. I can't get that to work here, but if i copy an image from the ATF it posts here it shows perfectly. I used to be on Picturetrail before it closed. Flickr costs me 1/4 what Picturetrail did and I seem to be nowhere near any limit.

Posted (edited)

I’m not sure why some find it so hard to share from Flickr. It’s literally copy and paste, in one of at least two ways. *shrug*

Ace Humbers

That one is the "share" version, which has the advantage that I can see it before I press the reply button.

Edited by Heather Kavanagh
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Heather Kavanagh said:

I’m not sure why some find it so hard to share from Flickr. It’s literally copy and paste, in one of at least two ways. *shrug*

Ace Humbers

That one is the "share" version, which has the advantage that I can see it before I press the reply button.

Excellent 👌 

I probably would if I used Flickr 👍

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Heather Kavanagh said:

Probably because three sites do it one way and this one is the odd man out. We all get set in our ways and hate change, as can be demonstrated by the negative posts about the site alterations.

• Like 1

On 05/03/2024 at 06:50, Dominic Thomas said:

I’d be happy to do that, but I’m close to the attachment limit. I don’t use Flickr and am unsure of any other options. 

Is any progress being made with the removal of limits on this site?

As Dominic asked yesterday and there doesn't appear to be a reply, is any progress being made with the removal of limits for attachments? Whilst some others state that there are ways around this issue with things such as Flickr??? (no idea what this is), would it be possible to have a timeframe?

12 hours ago, Grumps123 said:

such as Flickr??? (no idea what this is)

With the sum of human knowledge right at your fingertips, it’s a matter of seconds to find out. 😉

I mean, the World Wide Web isn’t yet 40 years old, but Flickr is celebrating its 20th birthday this year. That’s a lot longer than other social media sites.

Flickr is a photo sharing site. It’s used by thousands of professional and hobby photographers to share their work. Quite why the original creators chose the name isn’t clear, but it is memorable.

35 minutes ago, Heather Kavanagh said:

Flickr is a photo sharing site. It’s used by thousands of professional and hobby photographers to share their work.

And mediocre amateur modelers. I'm one of those and use it for a couple of other modeling forums. I don't seem to need it here though. at least, not yet.

Regards, Jeff.

OK, regarding images uploaded directly to this site:

I've been told this -

The image allotment is set to unlimited overall, but each post can only be so big. It's the most costly data related thing with the forums.

So, if you wish to post several images in one post, resize them. I would suggest the maximum dimension should be 600-800 pixels - that seems to work on most sites.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Dominic Thomas said:

I would love to see the next stage showing the crashed Spitfire and the wreckage of the train. 

😂

Interestingly is based on an incident which is believed to have occurred on 4th June 1943 when a flight of Spitfires from 313 Squadron stationed at Church Stanton, near Wellington in Somerset, were practicing a low-level attack on a train. One of the pilots, Jaroslav Čermák, got too close, clipped the roof of one of the carriages, rolled and crashed into a field. The train continued on its way with only minor injuries reported to one of the passengers.

Here’s part of the larger diorama I created with perhaps more going on than was necessary or factual! …. This is a photo stored on Flickr and pasted here using Flickr’s copy URL feature; one which I’m now getting the hang of and must admit I’m liking 👍

Rhubarb Over Somerset

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Ratch said:

OK, regarding images uploaded directly to this site:

I've been told this -

So, if you wish to post several images in one post, resize them. I would suggest the maximum dimension should be 600-800 pixels - that seems to work on most sites.

Great advice … thank you 👍