N gauge

rman

Why haven't Hornby gone down the N gauge route? If I remember they used have N gauge version of there Skaledale buildings but they have never gone fully into the N gauge route i.e locomotives or rolling stock. Why is that? Could Hornby go into N Gauge in the future?

Edited by rman

N gauge is a much smaller market with a couple of big players (in terms of the market) already present. Several years ago there may have been a gap that Hornby could have exploited. It is also possible that they were unhappy with the sales of the 5BEL that they produced via the Arnold brand. 

Hornby had a marketing tie-up with Minitrix in the 1970s to market the latter's small range British N models, hence the "Hornby Minitrix" product line.  Good solid models of their time though some where a bit compromised to fit the German loco chassis used. Still popular and reliable models 40-50 years on though some spares are becoming difficult to obtain now.
There have been the "Lyddle End" resin buildings and of course the Arnold Brighton Belle.
The main problem is probably most of the major loco classes and wagons/coaches have already been made by Farish or Dapol (with some duplication) plus you have the new entrants into the British N market  such as Revolution and Sonic filling gaps.  I would think there's little market share left for another major player producing even more duplication.  It's a small market as it is.

Edited by ntpntpntp