1/35 Cromwell

Ratch

Examining the instructions, I note that etched parts are noted as options at some points. These are packed with the decals, in a sealed transparency. Both rubber band and link and length tracks are provided, giving the modeller a choice. I’m researching the 2nd Northamptonshire Yeomanry’s use of this AFV. I was lucky to meet Reg Spittals before he passed. He was a Corporal with 2NY and is mentioned in The 1st and 2nd Northamptonshire Yeomanry ISBN 978-1-84574-997-2 as wounded. His recollections and personal photographs inspired my interest in the Regiment, as well as freely giving valuable information on their use of these tanks.
My research had revealed that one of the Cromwells of 1 Troop, C Squadron, 2nd Northamptonshire Yeomanry, was named Agamemnon. The 2nd Northamptonshire Yeomanry landed their Centaurs and Cromwells on Gold Beach near Courseulles sur Mer on 18 June 1944. As the Armoured Reconnaissance Regiment of 11 Armoured Division their basic role was to probe the enemy defences, maintain contact and report information back to Divisional Headquarters. After the landing the Regiment de-waterproofed their tanks.
On 26 June the 2nd Northamptonshire Yeomanry were ordered to push on through Cheux and capture the bridges over the Odon. Torrential rain caused three days delay and the enemy moved two armoured divisions into place. On 30th July 1944, they took part in an operation to capture the town of Vire. The battle took place in the bocage country with high banks, thick hedges, small fields and narrow tracks, all of which caused great trouble to their tanks. The action near La Bistiere involved Cromwells knocking out a PzKpfw IV, which was supported by a PAK 40. C Squadron liberated Vire in their Cromwells.
Their use in the bocage would make it logical that they carried the hedge cutters at this time. I seem to recall Reg saying that the extra equipment, such as waders and hedge cutters, were discarded as soon as practically possible. He said they had very little stowage. Pictures of them at this time are few and far between but seem to support his recollections.

References:

53584157155_f6f6c002bf_z.jpg

I remember Reg telling me that he had three Cromwells, two were lost, one by a shell hitting the engine bay. He remembered a driver’s side hatch, mirroring the gunner’s side hatch, which must have been a Cromwell IV Mark F. I have not seen a model that represents this mark. He told me that many things were fixed to the turret to disrupt the silhouette. Spare road wheels, helmets, chicken wire with branches and foliage stuck into it. I seem to recall someone mentioning that the road wheels in this kit are incorrect, having six securing nuts whereas they should have eight. I guess that strategic mud may offer a solution. I’m also contemplating making a bocage base. I have a number of 1/35 figures in my spares box that may be employed with this model.

So on to paring parts from the runners and introducing cement to styrene. 

53584032439_b872d98fcf_z.jpg

Before long I decided to add some colour. I mixed Vallejo Model Color 70888 92 Olive Grey 50/50 with 70924 94 Russian Uniform WWII as my interpretation of SCC.15 Olive Drab, BS.987C.

53584032454_31dcc13faa_z.jpg

Fantastic! What an amazing backstory too. I’ve not done any research ahead of my Cromwell build and so have yet to have in mind a particular theme. I see you are working on a Bocage scene, so assume this will tie in nicely with the Normandy campaign. I love it when a build is inspired in such a way and am really keen to follow your progress here.

On 12/03/2024 at 18:49, Ratch said:
Their use in the bocage would make it logical that they carried the hedge cutters at this time. I seem to recall Reg saying that the extra equipment, such as waders and hedge cutters, were discarded as soon as practically possible. He said they had very little stowage. Pictures of them at this time are few and far between but seem to support his recollections.

I've found zip evidence of hedge cutters in use in Normandy and it's not for want of trying!

Agreed. I’ve only found comment that one was fitted with the cutters as a prototype but it then only got as far as Bovington. 

Would love this to be proved wrong though, a few kits seemed to have been produced with this fitting 🧐

IMG_0855.thumb.jpeg.fef3068b5c08a36a2c6dee963411b6fd.jpeg

My searches have been specific to 2NY. I have found pictures of them having just landed with wading gear, and much later after the bocage action, so nothing definitive of the time. Sadly, Reg has passed on so I cannot get his take on this. I've built several Cromwells, one with wading gear, the others in a basic layout, so this one will have the hedge-cutter, just to make it a bit different.

• Like 1

How did you do the mud, Ratch? Years ago in Military Modelling I saw a build where the modeller had mixed paint with talcum powder and caked it onto the inaccuracies. Worked a treat!

Thanks all for the tool info. So it's an outsourced AFX original. Interesting. 

Moving on to the tracks, I'm using the link and length ones. I airbrushed the tracks with Vallejo Model Air 71072 Gunmetal (Metallic). 

53588607397_907b940266_z.jpg

I then masked and sprayed with Vallejo Model Air 71075 Sand followed by Vallejo Model Air 71027 Light Brown mixed with Vallejo Model Color 70540 Matte Medium.

53588607392_0b319ae7ac_z.jpg

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, john redman said:

How did you do the mud, Ratch? Years ago in Military Modelling I saw a build where the modeller had mixed paint with talcum powder and caked it onto the inaccuracies. Worked a treat!

Thanks all for the tool info. So it's an outsourced AFX original. Interesting. 

I used Mig Pigments.

A rough mix of Dark Rust and German Camouflage Black Brown was dry brushed over the cleats. I then rubbed an HB pencil over them. 

53593752159_83626ea4ca_z.jpg

I could then fix the tracks. 

53593637278_dd43d25188_z.jpg

The instructions specify that 15 links are required around the drive sprocket, but I found that 13 were sufficient. This was just as well because one link disappeared into the ether of the Carpet Monster’s domain. 

53593879515_a5a362c053_z.jpg

With the tracks on I gave the interior a quick brush with silver just in case anything will be seen. 

53593637268_9383472826_z.jpg

It will need at least one more coat. Two etched strips were fixed to the glacis plate and the undersides painted.

53593431991_dda3f2e7b7_z.jpg

• Like 2

When fixing the glacis to the hull both pieces of etch came off. 

53598047583_5ef397f437_z.jpg

There is also a gap that will need filling at the front. 

The remedial work was done. 

53596959607_335faac062_z.jpg

I decided to convert this to a Mk. F and leave the Cullinan Cutter off. I cut a blank plate to fill the hole where the driver’s hatch is moulded in the kit. The Mk. F had a mirror of the nearside hatch because the original hatch could only be opened with the turret in a certain position, making escape from a burning hull almost impossible for the driver. The mirror hatch was marked out in pencil and an Olfa P-Cutter used to scribe around the shape of the hatch.

53596959582_0a7540bbfe_z.jpg

The cover to the fighting compartment is flush fitting with the leading edge of the cover to the engine compartment. Because these covers have positive location points with the assembly so far there is no wiggle room. 

53598296350_bf2b8edd8f_z.jpg

I wasn’t happy with the gap between the two covers and filled it with plastic putty.

At the next step of the instructions, while adding those parts which include the Normandy Cowl, I scratched fittings to the driver’s side hatch. 
53602126423_d2e81f356e_z.jpg
I toyed with the idea of having the near side hatch open but decided against it. There’s nothing to see inside and I can’t see a figure half in and half out that would look believable.
53602126388_3dce2714b4_z.jpg
I painted before fitting the cowl.
53602382925_cdf29503c9_z.jpg
53602126393_d656a93bde_z.jpg