Blink Bonney issue

TaffsTT

Draper Redline 3 Piece 160 mm... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B011IL426C?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

This set has the ones that measure out to 10.4mm across the back of the jaws. There are some thin nosed piers and side cutters too which are useful. It was just coincidence they were spot on for this job 

accurate measuring of what you are going use as the gauge is important and hence the bit on an ‘engineering standard’ vernier caliper v cheap digital calipers. 

Edited by Rallymatt

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @Rallymatt, I'm looking to get a set of the small magnetic screwdrivers you show in the Tips & Tricks video of 16 March [for when I pluck up courage to open my Class 08] - do you recall where they came from or a brand by any chance?

R-

They are what are often referred to as jewellers set. The ones I picked up are from Screwfix and B&Q (brand is their own) Magnusson, the tips are magnetic, swivel top to help keep things aligned. Philips 0 and 00 (cross head) and slotted 1.4, 2.0, 2.4 and 3. All useful for other terminals etc on layout wiring. 
I use the smallest slotted ones for some of the crosshead screws Hornby use because the engage better and on rear tender screws the Phillips drivers catch the delicate wiper pick ups. There are other similar sets about, these should be easy to get hold of and about £8. 

Screwfix item no 8645V if it helps anyone, I have no financial interest in any suppliers, link won’t post but you can find it from that info 😁

• Thanks 1

I bought these last year        eBay item number:294724878971      you can actually get them for £3.99 if you look around. I don't think they are magnetic, but all you need to do is put a magnet on the shaft to make it so.

Edited by david_watts1
typo
  • Like 2

You can get a magnetiser device too. 
Just be wary of some cheap screwdriver sets, if the ends are not hardened they can quickly make a nasty mess of small screw heads. 

Edited by Rallymatt
Extra info

Generally not David, non hardened tips are hard enough to damage but not completely sacrificial. The fixings tend to be more likely to be soft, a hardened tip will keep everything in place but a moderate one will start to deform and also deform the fixing. That’s why professional tools will be hardened, it’s not just for them to last longer. All models I have opened up tend to have fixings on the tight side due to all mouldings being new and people do over tighten stuff.