TT120 2024 Catalogue Track Plans & track geometry

Moccasin

With apologies to those who haven’t yet seen it, the new TT120 Catalogue includes some track plans. Presumably these are a precursor to a future track plan book. While not wanting to dissect the plans in minutiae, there are a couple of interesting features.

One of the track plans uses the 1st radius quarter curves on the sidings to achieve separation to accommodate the platforms (2nd -4th radius quarter curves are apparently on the way)

IMG_0350.thumb.jpeg.50f7972505babc3aa22e0584ea06e132.jpeg

The other creates an offset scissors crossover with 4 points, a diamond crossing and 2 of the 6th radius curves. This might not be very prototypical but does achieve the crossover in a shorter space than 4 points back to back and might therefore be useful in some layouts.

IMG_0351.thumb.jpeg.539b2acd2b68e581f71206ea1dd727e9.jpeg

• Thanks 1

AH, that lower one explains why I couldn't get the geometry to work for a crossover, I hadn't thought out side the straight lines !

I was expecting to have 2x points to x-over to 2x points, but thats not what Hornby designed it for ... TBH I was only using them in a track planner because the Peco TT x-over isnt yet in SCARM ... but I messaged the author and he says it will be in the next release due this month.

Edited by Too Tall

Just now, Too Tall said:

AH, that lower one explains why I couldn't get the geometry to work for a crossover, I hadn't thought out side the straight lines !

I was expecting to have 2x points to x-over to 2x points, but thats not what Hornby designed it for ... TBH I was only using them in a track planner because the Peco x-over isnt yet in SCARM ... but I messaged the author and he says it will be in the next release due this month.

It’s an interesting arrangement and one that could be useful for a fiddle yard at the very least.- could even replace the 2 6th radius curves with additional points.  

The lower diagram is more for looks that practicality (unless you are wanting one of my famous ‘mini runarounds’ as the two lines join at the RH point on the right. …… but what if that RH point was removed and the upper line was joined onto one of the outside siding on the TrakMat scheme…. 😁 it would need to be treated as a reverse loop (it’s technically a WYE) but that would be  a great addition, trains can go and come back 😁

• Like 1

I said that…..about a month before I added the first extension and doubled track on most of the main loop and rebuilt the viaduct…   Then said same again before changing the cutting and adding junction and the entire dock scene. I was also head to say ‘that’s it now’ shortly before hacking into end of docks to build oil terminal…. 

4 minutes ago, Postman On The Rails said:

Bit late for track plans already built mine and won’t be changing it for a while 😝 

yeah Right 😂😂😂😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Rallymatt said:

The lower diagram is more for looks that practicality (unless you are wanting one of my famous ‘mini runarounds’ as the two lines join at the RH point on the right. …… but what if that RH point was removed and the upper line was joined onto one of the outside siding on the TrakMat scheme…. 😁 it would need to be treated as a reverse loop (it’s technically a WYE) but that would be  a great addition, trains can go and come back 😁

Yes I think some layout examples are more proof of concept than ones they would expect building. The double track platforms on the left seem “somewhat” short, while the one below is reminiscent of a mountain railway with switchback. 

Just now, MJ said:

Are their reasons why you would use the Hornby layout suggestion with the diamond crossing over the simplified version.

No I don’t really understand why they have that there, but if you have double track extending away from both ends, it’s a shorter arrangement than back to back left hand and right hand crossovers. 

Trying to understand the logic of some of the track plans is probably a pointless exercise!

If I'm reading the plan correctly, one advantage of the Hornby version would be that you have two passing loops for each of the main station lines, leading out to direction C. That's all I can come up with - oh - that and the advantage of Hornby selling four more points and one crossing!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rallymatt said:

I said that…..about a month before I added the first extension and doubled track on most of the main loop and rebuilt the viaduct…   Then said same again before changing the cutting and adding junction and the entire dock scene. I was also head to say ‘that’s it now’ shortly before hacking into end of docks to build oil terminal…. 

yeah Right 😂😂😂😂

My mind is made up 😝 going to take me ages to complete what I have planned let alone reworking it lol