LNER A4 4-6-2 4468 Mallard- what coaches?

Pete82

Am I right in thinking that the Pullman coaches would be the right coaches for the Mallard?  Also at the moment they have 2 1st class kitchen and one third class brake on the website.  Another website recommended a 1st class kitchen, 3rd parlour, and 3rd brake.  Have Hornby got more coaches planned for release?  Thanks

It depends on which service it was on. At this early stage of TT:120 range it’s impossible to be 100% faithful to all combinations, but you can get close. The problem is whatever someone tells you,  someone else will find and example that challenges that, with photos ! 😁

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pete82 said:

Am I right in thinking that the Pullman coaches would be the right coaches for the Mallard?  Also at the moment they have 2 1st class kitchen and one third class brake on the website.  Another website recommended a 1st class kitchen, 3rd parlour, and 3rd brake.  Have Hornby got more coaches planned for release?  Thanks

We're still awaiting the LNER Teak coaches. Their release date is speculated to be 2025, but right now that's a guess. Ultimately, as @Rallymatt said, we have to make use of what's available. 

There are four Pullman coaches in the range currently. Two are available for sale right now, and two are set for an Autumn release. You can see the appropriate names and product codes for these products:

image.png.6325de4e31a623d924df040e9a77f5bc.png

image.png.60bb04108e6b3351c5428169887bb260.png

Also, I highly recommend the TT:120 Scotsman sets, which come with 3 Pullmans:

image.thumb.png.5f7c5b22f5628184653c583c49ec6a3a.png

There's currently no Pullman 3rd Parlor, but I suspect that will come in due time. 

Edited by Generic Hornby Username

As has been stated by @Generic Hornby Username your best entry point at the moment for pullman coaches is the Scotsman set which gets you 2 x 1st class kitchen and 1 x 3rd class passenger brake. To this you can add the 2 new 1st class kitchens and car number 162 passenger brake to create a rake of 6 coaches.

In the past there where additional pullman coaches but these sold out a long time ago so you will find a lot of the early adopters with 8 coaches based on what is in the Scotsman set and the original stand alone coaches.

There are no 3rd class parlour coaches. When Phase 1 launched it was done with a choice of 2 Pullmans and 2 MK1 coaches all available with different names and numbers so you could build up longer rakes albeit based on the limited types. With Phase 2 you will notice that more variety is available however as yet they have not gone back to address the limitations with the MK1s and Pullmans. That will happen in time but when we can only speculate.

I would say that until we get Gresley coaches the Pullmans are probably the best fit for the Mallard. You could as an alternative get some MK1 blood and custard coaches and pretend it was just after nationalization and they haven't got round to rebranding you mallard yet.

• Like 1

Thanks a lot for the replies, I was intending on getting the Scotsman set but now I've seen the Inter City 125 set it's put a spanner in the works.  I've already got £500 worth of stuff on pre order for autumn so actually it would help if some releases aren't until 2025! 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Pete82 said:

Thanks a lot for the replies, I was intending on getting the Scotsman set but now I've seen the Inter City 125 set it's put a spanner in the works.  I've already got £500 worth of stuff on pre order for autumn so actually it would help if some releases aren't until 2025! 

The HST set is also great entry point. The sets are superb value. Basically, you can’t go wrong with any three of the sets. I had the HST on preorder, so mine had shipped by the time the HST set was announced. If I had known it was coming out, I would have waited until Autumn. They’re the absolute best way to get the most for your money. 

• Like 2

As things stand for now buying Pullman carriages is the best option.

However you could imagine Mallard hauling a Newcastle-Liverpool train as far as York or Leeds with LMS carriages.

Otherwise we'll have to wait for LNER teak carriages.