Avenger main canopy

I had just started to build the Airfix Grumman Avenger from the stash only to find out that the main canopy was broken with some small pieces missing. 
Now, I’ve had this kit for a very long time so these small bits could be lying in a house several moves ago. 
I tried the spares department but the kit has been out of production for so long, they no longer have spares. 
Anyone have any suggestions as to where a replacement could be obtained?

Create an account, if you don’t already have one, and add one of these to Backorder. They are out of stock at the moment but the fact that you can put on in backorder normally means they are expecting more to come in stock at some time in the future. 

You could also naturally give them a call and see what the outlook may be 🤞😊

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/FNCV0172

Hannants are currently listing two Grumann Avenger vac-formed main cockpits in 1/72 scale - one made by Falcon purports to fit the Airfix model; the other by Rob Taurus is not designed for the Airfix model, but might do the trick (and it's in stock!). Mind you, I'm assuming that's the scale you're looking for.

The other possibilities are to try to find a built- up scrapper on the 'Bay, or to smash mould your own. This involves sculpting the shape in balsa and poking it through a sheet of clear plastic softened over the stove. It's much easier to describe than do, which I never have, but it is a skill I have long wanted to acquire.  You can upgrade the canopy on old kits by using the supplied canopy as the master and pushing it into the clear plastic to make a much thinner copy. 

Before I switched to building ships I used to sometimes crash mould canopies using the old canopy as a master.  It was always a bit of hit and miss effort with some being easier than others to produce.  I remember trying quite a few times before I had one I was happy with.

This is the old snapfix 109 kit with a canopy made this way.

Me 109 Starboard.jpg

Looks good, well done. 
I think you have hit the nail on the head though by trying ‘quite a few times’. 
In considering the amount of time I might have to spend trying to get this new skill right versus the large number of kits I still have to build, the Stash won. 
This incomplete kit will have to be consigned to the spares box. 
Thank you for your help.