Crusader II/III - Libya Colours: Black or Olive Camoflague?

inkpen

I've always liked the look of the Crusader, and this stems from having got the Airfix kit when it was first released.  I've also bought it a few more times as an adult builder and I do still like the kit.

But I've noticed that the colour scheme recommended has changed from a sand and black to a sand and olive.  I'm not an 'experienced' armour builder, but would like to ask why Airfix have gone from a black to an olive for the camoflague - perhaps the change reflects a change 'in the field'?

While looking for the answer on-line, I noticed that some kit manufacturers suggests a white turret and camoflage indicated a 'SOC 1 C' whatever that might be!

I'd appreciate any knowledge about this so that I may adopt such advice in my latest attempt at the kit!

Disruptive patterns could be in Dark Olive Green, Black, Very Dark Brown or Dark Slate. I think the reference to white is to the underside of the turret and gun barrel to alleviate the effect of a natural dark shadow that might compromise the camo effect.

It may depend upon timing. Orders were frequently amended, but not always carried out immediately. i have the following notes:

No.61 B.S.381-1930 Light Stone Base colour, 2-colour disruptive pattern, North Africa 1942.

No.44 B.S.381-1930 Terra Cotta Disruptive colour, 2-colour disruptive pattern, North Africa 1942.

No.23 B.S.381-1930 Middle Bronze Green Base colour, North Africa (Tunisia) 1943. This colour is believed to be an erroneous interpretation of SCC 2

Light Mud Middle Stone Base colour, 2-colour disruptive pattern, Sicily 1943.

Blue-Black Disruptive colour, 2-colour disruptive pattern, Sicily 1943.

I try to get a photo and interpret that.

9 hours ago, inkpen said:

I note the flexibility in colours used, although my preference is for the black!  Thanks.

I'm glad that black is definitely an alternative because light stone and black are the colours I painted my 1/76 Crusader a while ago. Most illustrations I've seen show tanks in a light stone and dark green scheme but its good to know that modellers have a choice, and there's no need to fret too much about accuracy. I noticed on the wikipedia entry for the tank that the vehicle pictured at the Tank Museum also appears to be in light stone and black. I do wonder if some vehicles that were delivered brand new to the middle east may have been painted overall green and given a disruptive coat of light stone in theatre, I think this cammo was fairly common for some years post war.

Notice how that black isn't really black-black. It's more charcoal, and would be lighter still in bright desert sunlight. 

This is great for modellers because it means you can paint it any shade of dark grey or black you like, and it won't be wrong 🙂

I've posted pics of this model before but I think they were lost when the web site was changed a couple of years ago. The old Airfix small scale Crusader was a nice looking kit that could be built into a Mk 2 or Mk 3. Apparently it isn't  entirely accurate but I still find it worth building.

20180503_205551.jpg

Edited by jopres57