Mk3 couplings

I have just done my GWR mk3 test 

I started with power cars and one coach into and out of my siding negotiating 4 peco points in the process

Then added one coach at a time until I reached 5 coaches 

Despite managing to lose one kinetic spring all worked ok BUT

Using hunt magnetic couplings you must have at least a 2mm gap between coaches when on straight track otherwise they will foul when negotiating bends/points

I guess most people buying these will have gone for the starter pack which includes couplings that are too short for mk3 coaches

Hope this helps 

On 17/04/2024 at 09:14, Moccasin said:

Just for balance, my four coaches coupled well last night. There is one that I need to keep an eye on -it suddenly uncoupled and I subsequently found an unconventional HST arrangement going around the oval (coach - dummy - power car - coach-coach-coach)

I think this was down to poor/hasty track laying as the decoupling happened twice in the same place and a jolt from a larger than desirable gap could have caused it. 

I just tested my new arrived BR MK3 all coupled fine and the exception was the buffer car to standard randomly uncouples at different speeds and at different locations, I did notice that the arm wasn’t dropping into place no matter how jiggly I got with it, it seems to stick in the raised position occasionally.

IMG_2606.jpeg

I noticed on my 50’ Stanier one end was a bit reluctant to couple and on close inspection the metal hook was ever so slightly bent preventing the two couplings working together. Tiny tweak and issue solved. Might just be worth a closer look on anything not coupling correctly. 

• Like 1