1/72 B-17E/F 8th Airforce.

Simon Fuler

Over the years there have been many 1/72 kits of the earlier B-17 variants that served in the WWII European theatre of operations. These have been confined to the B-17F, with USAAF 8th Airforce markings, and only one B-17E in 8th Airforce markings, from Frog many years ago.

Now that Airfix have a modern B-17G kit in the range would it now be a great idea to bring out a backdated B-17E/F version with USAAF 8th Airforce markings, and tell the story of the earlier combat record of these first in to combat B-17's?

The timing of this now would also follow on from the fact that the AppleTV's mini series 'Masters Of The Air' is such a big hit and talking point at the moment and modellers are keen to make something that's current and of general interest to everyone.

what do you think Airfix?

Edited by Simon Fuler
Grammar.

Hello, yes Academy did do a B-17E, but only with Pacific theatre markings (I too have a couple), but you try and see if can find dedicated 8th Airforce markings for it - you won't. That's why I think Airfix could be on to a winner here if they did an early B-17E/F, with 8th Airforce European theatre markings, no one has ever done it! (discounting the old Frog kit of the 1970's).

As a rule I choose not to use the kit decals from academy especially if they are old. 
There were many notable B-17E models that were see in the Pacific like “Blackjack” 

Ill look and see what I have for decal sets for the B-17E, I’m sure I have at least a few for coastal command.

Randall

Edited by SD45elect2000

I did think of designing a decal set and getting Euro Decals to produce it for the early 8th Airforce B-17E's and F's.

There is an excellent modellers reference book available from Kagero called 'Luftwaffe versus the USAAF 8th Air Force Vol.1', Air Battles 19, which details the early 8th Airforce operations in Europe. It has some nice colour profiles of early B-17E's and F's.

IMG_4953.jpeg