TT120 new build - Sanctuary Junction

Charlie 66

So, after a couple of months work I have a functioning albeit not finished track.  I've now started some modelling on the layout to mix up my activities a bit.  Sadly one of my 2 loco's is causing problems short circuiting so I'm in the process of discussing a repair with Hornby.  In the meantime:

Engine Shed.jpg

balasting.jpg

Sidings.jpg

The mainline.jpg

• Like 12

Nice work! I notice you are using Peco track, I did a little video on sorting a lot of the ‘running issues’ that is mainly shorts etc. It’s almost entirely down to wheel back to back settings, get those  in the right place and it’s ultra reliable running. 

21 hours ago, Rallymatt said:

Nice work! I notice you are using Peco track, I did a little video on sorting a lot of the ‘running issues’ that is mainly shorts etc. It’s almost entirely down to wheel back to back settings, get those  in the right place and it’s ultra reliable running. 

Thanks Rallymatt, I found your video which was very interesting.  Unfortunately not the cause of shorts with Trigo though as it's been happening on straight tack sections too.  However, the good news is I believe I have resolved it this morning - the pickups were catching somewhere around either the wheel axles or chassis - presumably having got slightly out of shape during that first 30 min run in.  I have glued down the length of the pickups to their plastic casing so only the ends bend out to the wheel rims and it seems to have done the trick.

I will be doing the back-to-back wheel alignment on all rolling stock when I can get a suitable tool around 10.35mm.

I found a few companies sell Pin Gauges that you can get in a vast range of precise sizes. Not quite as simple to set as it is with a ‘square’ block but slip gauges don’t come in the sizes we want. The pick ups are very delicate, well done saving yours, my first WW had damaged ones from factory, I think they are very easy to damage in assembly. 👍

Edited by Rallymatt
Spooling

On 19/04/2024 at 18:06, Rallymatt said:

I found a few companies sell Pin Gauges that you can get in a vast range of precise sizes. Not quite as simple to set as it is with a ‘square’ block but slip gauges don’t come in the sizes we want. The pick ups are very delicate, well done saving yours, my first WW had damaged ones from factory, I think they are very easy to damage in assembly. 👍

Yeah I searched for slip blocks but they seemed to go in 0.1mm increments to around 8mm then only 0.5mm increments.  Anyway, I'm now waiting on a pin gauge I've ordered and Trigo seems to be running fine now with the glued down pickups - apart from occasional jumping of the infamous front bogie.  We'll get there.

• Like 1