Hornby OO R1139 BLUE RAPIER 395 Train Set query

Hello

I am new to Hornby and know very little about train sets.  My son is really interested however so I purchased the Hornby OO R1139 BLUE RAPIER 395 Train Set (year of manufacture 2010) for his upcoming birthday.  We also purchased lots of spare 00 gauge track.  The question I have is that grandparents want to purchase some other trains to also go on the same track however:

1. Can other trains run on the same track and if so do they need their own controllers.

2. What controllers do I need to get e.g. analogue or digital

No idea what current controller is but guessing analogue hence does that mean I need to wire something to the tracks to make it work? Sorry all new to this so any help appreciated.

Hello @DecemberWinter165432

Welcome Aboard!  The manual 96RAF presented is comprehensive.  It has the answers to your questions, but the answers are mixed in with all the other information.

I will suggest you stay analog for the early going, as this is less expensive.  Get the train moving and see how it goes.  As the enthusiasm builds, you may wish to transition to digital, for better control. Or, its a flop and you kept expense to a minimum. 

Now for analog, or DC, two wires will go to the track, one for each rail.  The track is therefore an extension of the wires.   The motor in the locomotive simply responds to electricity provided in those wires.  How much?  The dial on the controller.  This works just like an electrical fan you plug into the wall.  You control the speed of the fan with the dial on the fan.  In DC, the dial is on the controller, the motor is in the locomotive.

Independent control of multiple locomotives in DC can be challenging. Two electrically independent loops means two independently controlled locomotives.  That is the path most take early on.  And then they want a cross over and the fun begins!! 

Do remember: we are here to help you.  Do not hesitate to ask!  

Bee 

The wires from the controller to the track need not be heavy.  For now, most anything will do.  Just keep them reasonably short (under 2 feet or so).  Extremely fine wires act like resistors.  Check your guide for feeder wires.  Those will do

Your lad will want to be close to his locomotive anyway.  So short wires aren't a problem in the early going

Bee

On 21/04/2024 at 19:42, What About The Bee said:

The wires from the controller to the track need not be heavy.  For now, most anything will do.  Just keep them reasonably short (under 2 feet or so).  Extremely fine wires act like resistors.  Check your guide for feeder wires.  Those will do

Your lad will want to be close to his locomotive anyway.  So short wires aren't a problem in the early going

Bee

On 20/04/2024 at 14:45, 96RAF said:

Have a read of this for starters - 

Thank you!