Airfix d day offerings

Just been looking at the airfix d day offerings.

Have they forgotten the part that the Royal Navy, US navy and other allied vessels played in the invasion.

apart from a higgins boat not one single floating tribute

shame

It looks like they are spoiled for choice

HMS Belfast, HMS Warspite, HMS Rodney, HMS Dacres, French destroyer La Combattante, HMS Talybont, HMS Kelvin, HMS Argonaut, HMS Stevenstone, HMS Pytchley, HMS Diadem,French cruiser Montcalm, French cruiser Georges Leygues, HMS Bleasdale, HMS Eglinton (L87), HMS Ursa, HNoMS Svenner, HMS Largs, HMS Scorpion, HMS Durban, HMS Frobisher, HMS Royal Ulsterman, HMS Roberts, HMS Goathland, USS Plunkett, USS Corry (DD-463), USS Ancon (AGC-4), HMS Locust, HMS Urania, HMS Lawford (K514), HNoMS Stord, HMCS Sioux, HMS Ramillies, HMS Kingsmill (K484), HNLMS Flores, HMS Bulolo, HMS Ajax

Can you imagine the outcry if HMS Warspite, HMS Rodney, and/or HMS Ajax were re-issued as D-Day ships because the models depict them at earlier times in their lives.

If you're expecting new tooled ships I think they'd be a bit late if not announced already.

Check the instructions Ratch. Airfix Warspite has a colour scheme for her part in the normandy landings

Airfix Belfast history at the beginning of the instructions  refers to her at the normandy landings as does the instructions for HMS Nelson (sister ship to Rodney) who were both at the normandy lamdings

34 minutes ago, oldmodeller said:

Check the instructions Ratch. Airfix Warspite has a colour scheme for her part in the normandy landings

I thought it was the 1939 fit - but I'm no expert on the subject.

G'day All, the Airfix HMS Warspite in 1/600 was the first model ship I did since recommencing the hobby, aprox 25 years ago now. I did her OOB and at the time I didn't know that modeling of warships would remain with me to this day. Also at the time my knowledge of the hobby and ships was quite average.

HMS Warspite was badly damaged in the Med in 1941 and sailed to the west coast of the USA for repairs. While this was done her AA outfit was improved and radar added to her. By the time she took part in the D-Day landings 20mm Oerlikons had replaced her quad .50cal m/g, with extras added, and radar had been fitted to her as well. I don't think there were major alterations to her structure though.

So while the Airfix instructions supply a camo scheme that she wore at Normandy the model itself depicts her at the beginning of WW2 as far as I know. But I don't think it would be difficult to modify the kit for a more accurate June 1944 appearance.

HTH. Regards, Jeff.

• Thanks 1

Having had a family connection with the royal navy and having served in a volunteer capacity myself, I just thought it would have been nice to see a floating tribute.

You never know, there might be a few people out there who would accept the kits at face value and built them OOB. I mean, we are not talking large scale here. Some of the mods at 1/600 scale would be - as the saying goes- three fifths of five eights of nothing. 

Not all of us are purists to the n'th degree. I, for one, just would have liked a D-Day anniversary kit that wasn't an aircraft or military vehicle.

I agree @oldmodeller and Airfix have issued such sets many times. Each time the purists knock them as little more than toys because they're not accurate/old kits/not up to todays standards/wrong scale - get my drift. Plus, if Airfix had wanted to do it, they would be in the catalogue. I would imagine that their production schedule is at capacity (it would be if I was running it), so I think this opportunity has been missed.