TT at Model World Birmingham Live

Tim Allen

18 minutes ago, Rallymatt said:

Not seen anyone covering Peco at KMWL, did Peco have a stand? I don’t think it’s a case of being a British manufacturer means you can’t be speedy, perhaps it’s more a case of demand on existing products is taking priority. 

I didn't see their stand, I did want to visit it and see what TT stuff they had planned. The only Peco I saw was what vendors were selling.

3 hours ago, moawkwrd said:

Ditto, no real interest in modern stuff for me. I’ve no interest in capturing what I see now on the railway. It’s too boring.

I originally wanted an era 3 only LMS based layout, I don't mind LNER as the station in my village was LNER but the next village was LMS. I don't remember any steam locos as too young for that (honest).

Growing up in the 70s and 80s and my first OO layout was the APT and a class 31 I decided to have a dual time line approach. Remove the steam from the layout and its 1980's, remove the HST and diesel locos and its the 1920's. 

As the era 7 class 08 was sold out I did buy the GBRf version and have now ordered the GBRf class 66 with modern wagons and tankers so its a tri-time line TARDIS in the garden shed sort of setup.

TLDR I'm era 3 LMS / LNER, Era 7 & 8 BR and Era 11 GBRf freight only.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Moccasin said:

At Model Rail Scotland they had a small TT120 layout IIRC.

i have to confess I’m a bit disappointed with their progress - their signal kits still haven’t been released. 

I've ordered the Hornby ones now, I was going to go with the Peco. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Rallymatt said:

I genuinely think the BR Standard 9F will be the best ever….. I mean imagine all those rods and that valve gear, all those wheels, all that black paint that huge tender….. every home will want one 😁

I wonder about the min radius though. Maybe some flangeless wheels like the old dublo had.

The real loco had flangless centre driving wheels so that would be correct. Min radius on High Fell is equivalent to R3, this was done very much in preparation for the arrival of the 9F 😀

Fun Fact; the 9F was designed to be able to cope with tight radius curves in industrial/dock settings,  hence the flangless centre wheels, scaled into TT:120 that’s 1m radius, just shows how much we ask if our models 

Edited by Rallymatt
Extra info
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Peachy said:

I’m pretty sure that Peco wasn’t at Key. 
(although I missed Railtech which I’m gutted about so maybe I missed them too?)

Maybe, being rival publishers, they weren’t asked! 

I don’t think KMWL would not invite Peco on that basis, they are in modelrail terms massive, twice the size of Bachmann, the publishing part is only a small part. Peco have been restructuring their business and moving bits of the group about. There is a curious dormant company they own Howe&Davis, and there is some link to Key Publishing…but I can’t find what Howe&Davis did.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Paul M said:

Was there any indication when the 9Fs would be available?

AFAIAA there isn't even a date for the Class 37 yet - and we've seen CAD and 3d prints for that -  so the 9F is presumably a fair way off.

And add to that the fact that in the 'Future Phases' announcement (almost a year ago now), the 9F and the Class 60 were moved back in favour of the 57xx and the J94 then that also points to it being a bit of a wait. That change is understandable because I think they really need more small locos (both steam and diesel).

However I'm a bit biased as I'd rather see the Class 31!

Although with the announcement of the J50 they've demonstrated that they're prepared to change the previous plans, so who knows?

One thing I found interesting is that the list of upcoming TT:120 Sound Profiles that are listed on Page 27 of the new catalogue are all diesel: Classes 37, 31, 47, 60, 67, 73, 800 !

Sound profiles can be a bit misleading because they are essentially the same as the OO version but with changes to the motor control. Although it does lead one to think those models will appear in TT:120 at some point. 

The 9Fs are detailed in the 2024 catalogue (along with Castle, 31 & 37). All other locomotives are quoted more vaguely.

I take that as meaning that these 4 models will be the next we’ll see and are in some stage of advanced design. Clearly the 37 is well advanced. 

10 minutes ago, Moccasin said:

The 9Fs are detailed in the 2024 catalogue (along with Castle, 31 & 37). All other locomotives are quoted more vaguely.

I take that as meaning that these 4 models will be the next we’ll see and are in some stage of advanced design. Clearly the 37 is well advanced. 

But as I mentioned, in the Future Phases announcement last July(?) the 9F and the Class 60 were no longer mentioned as being in Phases 3 and 4, and the 57xx and J94 were 'promoted'.

That part of the catalogue just looks like a cut-and-paste of the original catalogue to me but like I said who knows?

Well the 47 was previously up front in the future phases section (including liveries I think?) but has since been demoted. Maybe reading too much into things but there’ll presumably need to be a new steam loco coming before long. 

• Like 1

Although I could justify a 9F on my layout I don’t think I’ll see one until 2026. Hornby said the sequence of future locomotives will be more driven by perceived demand than a set sequence. I would suspect they’ll take a number of models through CAD and possibly 3D printing but hold off on tooling until they see demand. I remember my 1970s tender driven Evening Star was lovely but a little picky about curves. With the 2-10-0 configuration it might be quite the challenge in TT120. 

Obviously all speculation of an amateur observer. Personally I’d like to see more small/medium stream locomotives for these industrial layouts and local passenger services. 

5 hours ago, Peachy said:

I’m pretty sure that Peco wasn’t at Key. 
(although I missed Railtech which I’m gutted about so maybe I missed them too?)

They weren't on the floor plan that I could see, I think Andy from Modeloco said something about it too.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Tim Allen said:

I originally wanted an era 3 only LMS based layout, I don't mind LNER as the station in my village was LNER but the next village was LMS. I don't remember any steam locos as too young for that (honest).

Growing up in the 70s and 80s and my first OO layout was the APT and a class 31 I decided to have a dual time line approach. Remove the steam from the layout and its 1980's, remove the HST and diesel locos and its the 1920's. 

As the era 7 class 08 was sold out I did buy the GBRf version and have now ordered the GBRf class 66 with modern wagons and tankers so its a tri-time line TARDIS in the garden shed sort of setup.

TLDR I'm era 3 LMS / LNER, Era 7 & 8 BR and Era 11 GBRf freight only.

I've got the same idea for my proposed layout with multi eras.  I grew up in the 80's so br blue and swallow livery will definitely feature.  I can appreciate the beauty and romance of steam locos and will def add to the Mallard I already have.   Modern passenger trains do nothing for me.  I do love the class 66 and have ordered a couple. 

38 minutes ago, Pete82 said:

I've got the same idea for my proposed layout with multi eras.  I grew up in the 80's so br blue and swallow livery will definitely feature.  I can appreciate the beauty and romance of steam locos and will def add to the Mallard I already have.   Modern passenger trains do nothing for me.  I do love the class 66 and have ordered a couple. 

I might be tempted to buy say the Class 170 DMU, 222 or 810 in EMR livery just because that's the local train company (at the moment) and they are the classes they use. In all fairness I've noticed they don't do that many different modern liveries in OO.

• Like 1

I'd have thought the class 37 would be behind many of the others as it will have had to be designed from scratch, whereas for the 31 and 9F they have research carried out for the OO versions as a basis. The same applied to the J50, so clearly they can move quickly if they want to.

I don't think Evening Star spent much time on goods trains. Perhaps its most famous operations were on the Somerset and Dorset line where it hauled the last run of the "Pines Express" — the heaviest train ever to be hauled over the line by a single locomotive (but with two firemen …).