Childhood dream layout

Skier

Hi All

So ever since I was a child I have wanted to build a specific Hornby layout.  The layout in question is from the 5th edition of the Hornby track plan book and it is plan 17.

As I approach the build I’ve noticed that the plan uses a mix of first and second radius curves on the same bend ie an R605 into an R607.  This configuration has alarm bells written all over it.  Is this just best avoided?  I can try and rework the track plan using second and third radius curves to smooth out the bends - it might get complicated though.

I would welcome your thoughts.

Regards

Bear in mind that when that track plan book was published, most locos and stock would manage R1 curves. Using different radius curves consecutively isn't in itself a problem and R2/3 would certainly be better that R1/2. Or could you keep it to R2. Any complications in the geometry of the plan could be sorted with flexitrack.

Of course, if you are only using small or old locos there might not be a problem.

Did you use an iPhone? The standard live images they take don’t work on this forum. You can convert to jpg & try again. If you’re not sure how, just take a screenshot of the photo showing on your phone and upload that! 

The heart wants what the heart wants.  If your dream layout is presented in that kind of exquisite detail, then I say go for it.

Be very mindful that most modern locomotives and rolling stock are spec'd to R2, minimum.  But many will do R1 in a pinch.  Smaller locomotives and rolling stock preferred.

With the itch scratched, you may upgrade your track plan to R2 minimum.  Most any track planning software can assist you in the feel of your choice, if not duplicate it precisely.

Have Fun!

Bee

Many software packages offer free trials.  I know that SCARM does.  Likely it will accomodate your desired plan, as the free version handles 50(?) individual track pieces.  

If it were me, I would put your desired plan in first.  Then try the modification to see what else is forced to change with it.

Bee

It looks like a design which would be great, were to be at least 3x bigger - curve radii moderated and sidings substantially longer.

Those sidings indicated won't hold more than 2 carriages, or 5 small wagons.

Al.

`Rog is dead right. This layout will look good and there is good loco storage but actual operational ‘fun’ is limited. The geometry means that if you follow this plan you need to use the first radius curves and there isn’t anything you can do about the gradient. This means that you’d have to use contemporary locos and controllers to get the best out of it. Modern locos and controllers wouldn’t be designed to run on it. There are also a lot of curved points. Others have said to use the Peco version. If you were to use contemporary locos you would probably have a problem with modern Hornby points as well as they are designed for wheels that are more to scale, again Peco settrack ones may be a better option. 

None of these points will stop you building this layout it’s just that you need to have realistic expectations about what you will be able to run on it. I’m not sure if Hornby still do a signal control set? I have noticed four on this plan. 

Hi All

Thank you for all your comments.  I’m having a bit of a rethink now on this.  Essentially I have a combination of modern and older locos and am looking for a layout with twin main lines combined with a branch line.  I do run a DCC layout btw.  

Unfortunately my imagination isn’t great when it comes to designing a layout.  I always seem to end up with essentially two ovals with sidings etc feeding off them.  I have a big base board (11 foot long by 6 foot wide) with a central well.  

I would welcome any ideas for the build.  I have a large number of locos and rolling stock and like a good amount of sidings so I can use and display what I have.  

Regards

This was the control panel from my last layout from the early 90's. It's been stored in a barn ever since. For the track, I just made it up as I went along. It was 20' x 15' but should give you some idea of what you can acheive. Good luck.

Old layout plan.jpg

• Like 1

There are lots of ideas out there. The two small PECO plan books usually have pans designed for operational use, but they also tend to cram as much railway in the available space as possible. The PECO settrack book is rather like the Hornby books in putting as much product in the available space as it’s possible to achieve and uses their old 1st/2nd radius curved points which aren’t available anymore. However, they are all excellent sources of ideas on things to incorporate in a layout if you have the space. 

Old Model Railway mags are usually available very cheaply and usually have some track plans in them, you can always copy a good part of someone else’s layout as well. They have already done the design for you. 

IMG_0017.jpeg