April 2024 TT120 Club magazine

I find it interesting they have put such specific dates in the magazine after previous issues suffered from many missed dates due to the lag between submitting articles for copy and final publication. Is that not an issue now that the magazine is electronic? If so I think it’s a benefit if we get more accurate dates. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I'm surprised that an email isn't automatically sent out telling us about the new issue of the magazine.  I like the weathering tutorial they've done on the tank wagons.  Would have liked to see how they did the viaduct on the layout though in more detail.  Googling twelve mill bridge it seems you can see how they built it if you have a key model world account. 

Edited by Pete82
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, BritInVanCA said:

I find it interesting they have put such specific dates in the magazine after previous issues suffered from many missed dates due to the lag between submitting articles for copy and final publication. Is that not an issue now that the magazine is electronic? If so I think it’s a benefit if we get more accurate dates. 

I'd advise you to be skeptical of an exact date, but to take the information as a positive indicator. The article notes those dates are the predicted time for Hornby to receive their cargo shipment at their warehouse. But as with any logistics, there's an element of uncertainty. If a ship is delayed entering port or the vessel has technical difficulties, that could shift the time back. And unloading a ship and transporting the container to Hornby's warehouse also opens the possibility for delays. And of course, then Hornby has to unpack their shipments and catalogue them within their systems. 

I'd give them up to 1-2 weeks of leeway after the date for the product to actually end up in the hands of customers. Those look like raw internal figures. This is Hornby's own internal tracking predictions for shipments, but even those can be delayed if certain circumstances converge.

One of the great pieces of news, is that the Class 50s and Duchesses are very close. It takes 4-6 weeks for a shipment to reach Britain from the Far East. If Hornby is projecting a May release for a product, this guarantees that the items are already loaded on the ship and transiting to Britain. The products set for a late June release are probably in the process of being packed and prepared for loading onboard the cargo ship. In other words, the locomotives that will soon be running around our layouts are no longer conceptual. They're real items making their way to us right now. 

By July, Hornby will have delivered 3 newly tooled locomotives, 3 newly tooled coach variants, and a newly tooled wagon. 

The magazine also suggests that production is in full swing for the next wave of products. The 21 Ton Wagons and the HAAs are said to be in production. They might arrive late summer or early autumn. I'm hoping sooner, but until they're on the boat we can't really know. The Class 66s seem like they've slipped into autumn. So, after the flurry of arrivals in May and June, we might see things quiet down for a few months. October and November are going to be wild. Those months are hopefully when we see 10x Class 66s, green 08, blue 08, 2x Pullmans, 2x HST sets, J50, etc. And that will set Hornby up for a fitting conclusion to 2024 and a solid Christmas. At that point, Hornby should have completed every October 2022 preorder except the Mk 2e and the remaining Class 50 livery. And those should easily be dealt with in 2025. 

One question I do have is for TT6028. The website is saying that it's unavailable. Has it sold out while on preorder? If so, then that's actually pretty impressive. Has anyone managed to preorder it? 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Generic Hornby Username said:

One question I do have is for TT6028. The website is saying that it's unavailable. Has it sold out while on preorder? If so, then that's actually pretty impressive. Has anyone managed to preorder it? 

Not sure, the stock level is -64 which generally would be pre-orders. I wouldn't say that it's sold out unless 3rd party sellers have got a ridiculous amount on pre-order. Incidentally the TT6015 21T Mineral Wagon had -245. 

Either it's a website fault and we should be able to order it or for some reason they have stopped accepting pre-orders. Strange that the other wagon is still accepting pre-orders, wonder if it's  down to a licence issue with Shell / BP.

EDIT - I've emailed customer service asking them if it actually is unavailable or a website fault. The reply was the item has sold out of pre-orders.

Edited by Tim Allen
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Tim Allen said:

Not sure, the stock level is -64 which generally would be pre-orders. I wouldn't say that it's sold out unless 3rd party sellers have got a ridiculous amount on pre-order. Incidentally the TT6015 21T Mineral Wagon had -245. 

Either it's a website fault and we should be able to order it or for some reason they have stopped accepting pre-orders. Strange that the other wagon is still accepting pre-orders, wonder if it's  down to a licence issue with Shell / BP.

EDIT - I've emailed customer service asking them if it actually is unavailable or a website fault. The reply was the item has sold out of pre-orders.

Wow! Thanks for getting to the bottom of it! 

I think your hypothesis on stockists buying many of them makes perfect sense. 64 wagons seems like an awfully small number. If Gaugemaster ordered 50, TMC ordered 50, etc. you could see hundreds of wagons run out pretty quickly. 

They’re still available for preorder at other sites, but still impressive for Hornby to be sold out a month after announcing the product.