What type of engine would you like?

Go_West

Funny this name thing; to me Mallard is synonymous with the fastest train and I dont think of the 'duck'.

Imagine what people thought when they first heard "Spitfire" and could you imagine a new attack aircraft being called "Blastthrough"!

I

digress though; a 9F please or American "Big-Boy" (I nearly hit "Post-reply" and just spotted I had typed Big-Boty. Yes I would like preview back!).

LOL ......Hey guys,I'm not complaining about the name,I'm just questioning it [in a "tongue in cheek" way as my sig] ......and anyway,as a confirmed LNER fan ......the A4's are my favourite locos ......Mallard is simply the best...... ;-)
best regards
Terry

Here me and TerryB disagree, although an LNER fan, Mallard is always a second best loco for me. Gresley's ultimate expression of a high speed express loco in A4 form was the rebuilt W1 "Super A4", the 4-6-4 wheel arrangement being the optimum for British

Mainline express work, pacifics were always a compromise loco. The "Super A4" never got a chance to prove what it could do, more powerful than an A4 or Duchess it remained a one off loco after Gresleys death, his demise and the war shelving plans for a class

of these beasts and with the poor state of the railways record running was out of the question for such a venture.

Both Gresley and Stanier both knew the 4-6-4 was the optimum wheelbase for an express loco in the UK and indeed as LMS fans will know

Stanier had a very exciting 4-6-4 version of the Duchess pacific on the drawing board, a Super Duchess, the Admiral class. Sir Nigel Gresley had the plans for a class of 4-6-4 Super A4's based on the rebuilt W1 on his drawing board at the time of his death.

A

second run was planned for Mallard as Gresley didn't think the maximum potential of the loco had been reached, and a run with the rebuilt W1 Super A4 was planned with lots of Gresely improvements, alas events in Poland in late 1939 put a stop to the record

running.

As for names, Spitfire is a pretty good name and suited that spam can pretty well.

I know there is a certain space required for all the stuff, but a pug would be a nice addition. But at the moment I would be happy with any new model. It is staying way to quiet at the live steam front. Just as a finally have the space and time to start

a real lay out. If you would like to know in foreign measurements: 1.22 mtr * 3.05 mtr. My intention is to use live steam and dcc on this lay out. But a little shunter in Live steam would look very good on it as well! Next to my fast duck (of which I didn't

know it was a duck, lack of knowkledge of foreign languages)and my Dwight D!

Any activities planned for the live steam club?

I would have thought that something with smaller wheels would make controlling the loco's speed a little easier (lower gearing and all that). Of course, it would need to be big enough to house all the workings. I think a 9F would tick all those boxes.

Archived