How to make a live steam train?

Rynino

If you look through some of the topics on the live stream section you should find some pointer the oo live steam group which will be able to help. Sorry I didn't know much more than that. What I think some people are doing is buying hornby A1/4 and chopping

them about building what they want to end up with. However if you're not too bothered about the scale the typing model engineering into your browser then there's a lot of companies able to provide parts kits and drawings for other scales from O to 7inch and

groups to oo might be available but never looked myself

[reply]Rynino said:

Hi as has been said by taking an A3 and a brass kit it is possible to build an engine this will depend on your skills? but would be ok if you use the same wheel arrangment i have 4 engines built from A3 Hornby engines which are

on youtube Hornby have made such a good job of the A3 that it is a great buildng block to work with.

• 2 weeks later...
gowest said:

[reply]Rynino said:

Hi as has been said by taking an A3 and a brass kit it is possible to build an engine this will depend on your skills? but would be ok if you use the same wheel arrangment i have 4 engines built from

A3 Hornby engines which are on youtube Hornby have made such a good job of the A3 that it is a great buildng block to work with.

He Rynino has said how uch will it cost? or how long s a bit of string? kits are from £30 to £130 o you might like to build a ready made one from say £150 to £400? then you will need to fix this body to the A3 which will mean chopping it about then making

fixing points i do not think he (Rynino) will be able to complete the engine for under £600 and that is leaving out the time spent but have a go if you have the money and the skill. best of luck PS do nottry this with an A4 chassis.

SkyCube said:

Well yes, but I reckon he should try something small before going for the large locos that come before attempting a live steam engine!

I agree SkyCube. I think you need to be a very accomplished modeller before trying

to make a live steam model. Gowest obviously is one of those.

I am not going to say one way or the other which is best way to do this. But after thinking about this. I have built a few kits and scratch built some too. It's down to what locomotive you would like to build. Depending on the wheel axle di ie how much

work would be involved in changing them for others such as boxtpop etc using other makes of wheels or sticking with the ones it comes with. i Would start with a scratch build body as the fixing plates can be designed into the build. Unlike a kit which you

may have to move them which could make the kit useless not too mention the work evolved to make it fit. Also would save £100-200 kit half of which won't be used anyway

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

[reply]Brightstar said:

SR Merchant Navy. More Information is available from the site.

Was good to here how some like me has built an engine from an A3 what was it like did he have any problems? i would like to know having built a West Country.

I think that this type of engine would be an easy engine for hornby to reissue one day with and with out the casing would give 2 for the price of 1

• 1 month later...
Brightstar said:

Rynino said:

Thank you for the info, but where would I get a brass kit from and how much will the kit cost.
Hi Rynino,

Take a look at http://www.livesteam.com. Some of outr members have used the Hornby 00

Live Steam chassis to build new locos, by using brass kits. One member has made a SR Merchant Navy. More Information is available from the site.

Hi everyone,

I have given you the wrong URL it should be http://www.00livesteam.com or

http://www.oolivesteam.com

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Archived