Model Railway - What's your latest acquisition?

Don't you think we have enough 'glamour locos'? There's a far greater need for small, everyday locos of the type that operated 90% of the railway.

When did you last see a Merchant Navy shunting in a goods yard or an A4 at the head of a pick-up

freight? Certainly post 1923, if not earlier, they were painted black so you wouldn't have fancy liveries but if you want a model railway, as distinct from a train set, they are even more necessary.

Hear hear!

I totally agree PP. Some more branch line locos please.

However I have seen Bullied Pacifics sort of shunting. They used to bring empties from Waterloo to Clapham Junction via the washer, if a smaller loco wasn't available, then

sometimes they would go into the sidings to fetch empty carriages and work back to Waterloo. Always tender first. Looked odd.

And not all little engines were black. Some of the small passenger tank engines got a colourful livery in pre-nationalisation

days. Certainly on the GW and Southern, I can't speak for the others.

Postman Prat said:

Don't you think we have enough 'glamour locos'? There's a far greater need for small, everyday locos of the type that operated 90% of the

railway.

When did you last see a Merchant Navy shunting in a goods yard or an A4 at the head of a pick-up freight? Certainly post 1923, if not earlier, they were painted black so you wouldn't have fancy liveries but if you want a model railway, as distinct

from a train set, they are even more necessary.

Totally agree PP, we need more small locos.

I agree LC&DR the pantographs are hard to find. The Maroon steeple cab is a very rare version, it's always had a working pantograph and carries the BR roundel instead of the usual TR symbol, I've only

ever seen one other like it with the BR roundel and that was 30 odd years ago in a junk box at an indoor fleamarket in Newark-on-Trent. It was bought from a trade fair from the Tri-ang stand around 1962, instructions say 1962. It has been out of it's box 3

times in all the years I have known it. Would be worth a mint if it came to general market.

It is surprising what does turn up now and again. I found a maroon Trancontinental bogie diesel switcher, rare in itself, but someone had repainted it in green! Not only that but they had applied the cabside transfers from the Green Princess Elizabeth

(46201) complete with orange and black lining.

Who had done it I haven't a clue, but I have kept it as bought, just out of curiosity.

Where they got the transfers I cannot guess. Did the factory sell them?

The son of Triangman

said:

Totally agree PP, we need more small locos.

I agree LC&DR the pantographs are hard to find. The Maroon steeple cab is a very rare version, it's always had a working pantograph and carries the BR roundel instead of the usual TR symbol, I've

only ever seen one other like it with the BR roundel and that was 30 odd years ago in a junk box at an indoor fleamarket in Newark-on-Trent. It was bought from a trade fair from the Tri-ang stand around 1962, instructions say 1962. It has been out of it's

box 3 times in all the years I have known it. Would be worth a mint if it came to general market.

They did indeed sell the princess transfers LC&DR and late and early BR totems, GWR 8751 transfers were available and others. strangely the BR roundel transfers weren't on the trade list but odd ones turn up on the "bay" sometimes.

Transfers were

sold to the trade for repair work mainly.

Tri-ang Transfers Early BR Lion Riding Wheel, Light Yellow later BR Totem and post 1965 BR steam late totems.

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t43/thetriangman/DSCF0016_zpsc05f1d0b.jpg

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t43/thetriangman/DSCF0008_zpsa15b432e.jpg

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t43/thetriangman/DSCF0009_zps9825965f.jpg

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t43/thetriangman/DSCF0015_zps2fd770db.jpg

My latest buys are two blue dummy double cab transcontinental engines with MK111 couplings in play worn condition, I have rewheeled them with Hornby 14.1mm metal wheels with rimed brass pinpoint bearings as two wheels were busted, also a Trix/Lilliput

Class 52 in maroon renamed Western Thunderer.

HI LC&DR No it in original colour only name and number have been changed, They came in Maroon green and blue. I have 2 blue 2 green and 4 maroon 98 in total).

In a previous comment you made about the lack of replacement pantographs on steeples cabs

and EM2s, there have been several articals in the Hornby Mag this year showing EM2's with double collecting strips on their pantographs. I have 5 EM2s a couple with busted pantographs. What I have done is cut off the busted top half of the triang pantograph

at the halfway horizontal pin and used the top half of a joulf pantograph which fits in the holes vacated by the pins perfectly, the effect is quite good likeness, had to do two transcontinental green and orange overheads as a trial run.

I have looked

at sommerfelt and other makes but they need major surgery to the roof to make them fit which I don't want to do. Thought this might be of some help.

Im starting from scratch after not enjoying a Hornby set for a fair few years since when I was a child and my dad built me one. Well now i'm a dad and im builing a small set for my 8 year old son and I to enjoy.

I have a limited budget so have gone

for second hand sets from ebay.

I started with the intercity 225 set from the mid 90's (my favorite engine as I had the 91 as a child) and the 47 class intercity Night Mail set.

I am intending to have a simple twin loop with some sidings and

a passing loop and running both trains at the same time. I have expanded the stock with some freight containers for the 47 to pull when not being the mail train.

And for the track board I got a good deal on the mainline station set and the double level

crossing.

In all it should ad up to a cheap set with plenty to do and child freindly.

Postman Prat said:

Apart from the A1 and A2 which are only made by the blue box boys, and the Airsmoothed Merchant Navy, which is made by no-one, all classes that ran in blue have been done, so far as I know.

I'll have

one of each thanks.

Nothing stopping Hornby doing an A1.

A Google search brought up an O gauge model of the Airsmoothed Merchant Navy class.
Very nice.

Hi Graskie

I was referring to locos which ran in BR service, during the period 1948-52. As the Merchant Navy class were not rebuilt until 1956-60 this could not apply to the rebuilt locos.

35005 Canadian Pacific, as rebuilt, only ran

in blue in preservation, from 2000-2002 approx.

Graskie said:

What about Hornby's R2171 rebuilt Merchant Navy 35028 "Canadian Pacific?"

Hi Mike

As you say, Tornado is running in BR Blue and Hornby can do this one, which is the only member of this class that they make. The other A1s they do are Gresley A1s, the predecessors of the A3s. The A1s in blue were the Peppercorn

class, some of which were actually built in BR Blue.

Mike70 said:

I'll have one of each thanks.

A Google search brought up an O gauge model of the Airsmoothed Merchant Navy class.

Very

nice.

Postman Prat said:

Hi Graskie

I was referring to locos which ran in BR service, during the period 1948-52. As the Merchant Navy class were not rebuilt until 1956-60 this could not apply to the rebuilt locos.

35005 Canadian

Pacific, as rebuilt, only ran in blue in preservation, from 2000-2002 approx.

Graskie said:

What about Hornby's R2171 rebuilt Merchant Navy 35028 "Canadian Pacific?"
Yes, you're right, PP, but I was answering the question of what blue

liveried BR locos had been issued by Hornby.

Postman Prat said:

Hi Mike

As you say, Tornado is running in BR Blue and Hornby can do this one, which is the only member of this class that they make. The other A1s they do are Gresley A1s, the predecessors of the A3s. The A1s

in blue were the Peppercorn class, some of which were actually built in BR Blue.

Mike70 said:

I'll have one of each thanks.

A Google search brought up an O gauge model of the Airsmoothed Merchant

Navy class.
Very nice.

I automatically assumed you meant the Gresley A1's.

Is it much of a stretch for Hornby to produce the original Peppercorn A1's from the Tornado mold?