Live Steam and DCC

The_Seagull

Yes - and no! The control system is totally different. You would need to remove all the DCC loco's, accessories, and controllers, before running LS, and vice versa to run DCC. Plus you would have to give the track a thorough clean after running steam,

because they tend to drop oil!

If you want to run them both in the same space, you would be best having two totally independent circuits of track.

Morning Guys.....thanks for the responses....looks like its a deffo no no......was not looking to remove or replace any of my fleet of decoders, plus I am quite happy with my current control system.....so, will carry on with what I have........saved some

cash anyway.....cheers

Please think again The Seagull

Live steam is a wonderful and totally different pleasure experience to DCC and the concept of running them both at the same time misses the point.

With DCC the programming allows you play 'god' and set in motion

a world at your feet. With live steam you actually have to DRIVE the locomotive making the same decisions as a real engine driver if you want a smooth pull-away and accurate stop taking into account the load you are pulling, the track (gradient? curve? how

tight? 'leaves on the line') and not least the actual loco you are controlling. They all vary just like the real thing did. Some are smooth and powerful and others are dogs but just as much fun.

When you are running a live steam loco you CANNOT run

any other, such is the level of concentration required if you want accurate control and no disasters!

In my view live steam is FAR more fun than 12v or programmed control where all you have to do is turn a knob and it goes.

[reply]The_Seagull said:

What has been said here is right do not mix these live steam engines with other systems as in the old days of full size railways the steam engines had a flash label fix to different parts of the engine and tender warning

the crew of the dangers of over head cables even if you made a change over switch you may still need to beef up the connections to and around the track which is not a bad thing as poor wire is bad to both types of system. You may like to see my new live steam

control system?

Gowest, please tell me this is something you are offering up as a service? DCC in my garden is controlled via iphone, so no boxes in the garden, but LIve Steam means I have to take the controllers out into the garden.... Id love to stop doing this and

your solution seems ideal!

• 4 months later...

[reply]The_Seagull said:

Hornby live steam loco be used on a DCC layout without any modifications?

With out a change over switch no they are 2 different systems i have the old Zero 1 system and live steam and run both take a look at my video

on youtubehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fXqSCh4BUk

I still think that the steam set is a more fun system to run as like the real thing you never know what will happen once you get steam up but then for instant running the Zero 1 fine for me.

• 8 months later...

Archived