L M S MONTY 040 SADDLE TANK 16020 .

firefly123super

• 5 years later...
  • 7 months later...

Hi All, The LMS 0-4-0 Saddle tank, '16020', 'Monty',this loco only appeared in the R870, 'Branchline Goods' train set.

According to Ramsey only produced in 1990.It was produced in Matt Black livery.

Not listed in the Hornbyguide.

I have not got a copy of issue 97, could anyone who has one, quote what is said about the loco, thanks.

Have taken photos to show that particular model.

Photos show R870 Set. This shows 'Monty' and rolling stock etc.

/media/tinymce_upload/c57044d672b2a3cf0f9fadb32073d308.JPG

/media/tinymce_upload/b757e71f3e3e584ddf881d42339709a2.JPG

/media/tinymce_upload/ed8508dfe30eb862fc6ad9daa4729c46.JPG

/media/tinymce_upload/b756038e874d71aa540ca05ac307f503.JPG

Hello New Lad  😀

1st - I like your photos & the fact the train set, it came with extras!!!  😀

2nd - I've got Issue 97 (Dec 2013 - Jan 2014) of the Collector & on page 11 - it is writen by some 1 called Richard Robinson (who ever he is!!!) & this what he had to say about it...(not much really!!!)

"Little is known about the history of this CR Class OF, save that it was throught to have been made for inclusion in a sert in 1990 but as to which set, I am not certain. Perhaps a Club member can provide further info. It was made in black with red / gold LMS lettering on the side & 'MONTY' above, although the quantity is unknown. The running number 16020 was printed in gold on the cab sides. Again, it is quite a rare Loco to find but 1 to look out for!!!"

Hope this helps...

JJ

Hi JJ, Thank-you very much for looking up the article in the collector.As you say not much information given.

Very little on the net also.At least now we know which set it comes in.

Bought it several years ago, cannot remember where or what I paid for it.

If you ever want photos of recent Hornby Locos, from the past 20 years, drop a line on forum and will check if I have them.

No Probs New Lad  😀 Happy to help a fellow member of the Hornby Forum  😀

That was a bit like my Hornby West Coast Highlander Loco Set - that came with Extras aswell - like Hight Barrier, Signs, Huts, Etc. Which cost me £89.99 - Here is the Link if you want to see...

Hello again, New Lad

There is a brief mention of R870 in Vol 3 of Pat Hammonds "The Story of Rovex".

He describes it as a special "Branchline" set for F W Woolworth. About 2000 were made in 1988.

Vol 3 covers the period from 1972 - 1996.Pat always promised a volume four, however a follow up volume would be a massive undertaking now when such an enormous amount of new material has been produced since 1996.

THank you for the pics - there's only another 1,999 like it. Not many in the great scheme of things.

regards      John