GWR 101 or some other GW 040

81F

I would like to see an updated 101 with a decent pain job, chassis and separate handrails. Ive just fitted Romford drivers to a Little giant and will soon start scraping away the handrails. I have to admit the new slightly smaller wheels improve its look

no end but still only has three speed very fast sorwar and reverse and stop.

A Peckett would be much more preferable. There is no need to update the Holden tank.

There is

a nice web page on wikipedia named GWR 0-4-0ST

According to this, there were 14 Pecketts, 4 Hudwsell Clarkes, 3 Avonsides, 2 Andrew Barclays, 2 Hawthorne Leslies, 2 Brush and a Kitson, in the GWR, most of the from the Welsh railways absorbed in 1923.

Any

of these, but particularly a Peckett, would be very welcome.

1101-1106 0-4-0T Avonside (side tanks)
1391 0-4-0ST Avonside Ex-West Cornwall
1340 0-4-0ST Avonside 'Trojan' Ex-Alexandra (Newport and South Wales) Docks and Railway

'Alexandra' Ex-Alexandra (Newport and South Wales) Docks and Railway
1338-1339 0-4-0ST Kitson Ex-Cardiff Railway
696, 779, 935, 927 0-4-0ST Peckett & Sons Ex-Powlesland and Mason
795, 921 0-4-0ST Brush Ex-Powlesland and Mason

0-4-0ST Avonside Ex-Powlesland and Mason
928 0-4-0ST Andrew Barclay & Sons Ex-Powlesland and Mason
942 0-4-0ST Hawthorne Leslie Ex-Powlesland and Mason
150 0-4-0ST Huswell Clarke Ex-Swansea Harbour Trust
1140 0-4-0ST

Andrew Barclay & Sons Ex-Swansea Harbour Trust
886, 926, 930, 933, 929, 968, 1098 0-4-0ST Peckett & Sons Ex-Swansea Harbour Trust
943 0-4-0ST Hudsell Clarke Ex-Swansea Harbour Trust
974 0-4-0ST Hawthorne Leslie Ex-Swansea

Harbour Trust
1133, 1184, 999 0-4-0T Ex-Taff Vale Railway
1342, 1343 0-4-0ST Hudswell Clarke Ex-Taff Vale Railway
1 0-4-0ST 'Hercules' Peckett & Sons Ex-Ystalyfera Tin Works (absorbed 1948)

I agree with SoT, we need something new in small locomotives, and the Peckett is probably the best. It would allow the L&Y pug to be 'rested' too. A realistic small diesel shunter is another 'must have' and there are so many to choose from. Remembering

how good the 'Dock Authority' was because it used a motor bogie as a power unit, and did not need coupling rods, I would therefore strongly recommend the Rolls Royce Sentinel 4w diesel hydraulic, the version with chain drive, of which there are quite a few

preserved. It has the advantage that the power unit could also be used under the steam Sentinel shunter (Garden Shed) as well.

Seeing as another manufaturer has made a very nice LNER steam Sentinel shunter (which I assume is the "Garden Shed" version you reference) under commission by Model Rail, I would think they would be the logical

ones to leverage this mechanism in a diesel version, and even conceivably, the Sentinel railcar.

dear ozexpatriate the sentinel which has been made is the Y3 which is steam loco with a vertical boiler and two gear chain drive. the one that realy looks like a shed is a y11 in original condition a simplex petrol

and how about some HUNSLET LOCOMOTIVE

steam or deseli dont mind

• 3 weeks later...
I know
How about a Peckett R4 its even got a Hornby catalog no ;-) .
Available in Red, Green, Yellow and Blue with a super heavy chassis and low geared slow speed so it will be a very good shunter.
With a name plate choice, seperate loco No

plates brass whistle and safety valves lined out available as an adult model and also as a simpler Railroad jnr model
And defiantly no company names or other garbage to spoil its nice clean railway like looks.
As for a noisy box on wheels how about

a class 02 shunter
regards John

I have very fond memories of a sentinel working in the late 1960's and early 1970's it was called St Monans and worked at British Gypsum Hawton Plaster Works just up the road from my grandparnets lived, the lines to the quarries ran right alongside the

road and you could see the loco at work, some days a small Peckett called Hilda would be at work and a third pecket, St Monans and Hilda are still with us thankfully.!

Archived