Cock O' The North

rayarpino

So that model railway distributor in South Yorkshire where they only play soccer on wednesdays appears to be the first to have announced the immediate availability of the RailRoad version of the long-awaited Cock O' The North. Nice, and the accompanying photos left me with a good impression for such a large engine costing just under £80. A lot of the detailing is moulded on as was to be expected at this price. I am waiting for the TTS version and hope that will be fitted with fine detail, such as separately fitted handrails, etc....

Mine is on it's way and have just been notified it's with Royal Mail. I have had this on order and off order so many times I have lost count. There are faults on it that I am going to attempt to correct such as missing handrails on the inner side of the smokebox area. We will see if it needs them when it arrives as the general appearance is what matters. A good buy when you look at todays loco costs of £150+ in some instances. For Hornby to turn out a tender loco under £80 is really a good buy these days and any minor detail faults could be fixed if the users wants to.

In fairness the R3171 is a Railroad model and is therefore sold with reduced detail to keep the price low, I do not therefore consider it strictly correct to criticise the lack of certain minor handrails as 'faults'. The beauty of the Railroad range is to offer budget priced models which contain the basics and which can be upgraded if desired.

Well done Hornby!!

Very well put, LC&DR! It is indeed amazing to be able to purchase a model of this size and quality at this price. And you can always add extra detailing if you wish. It's part of the fun of railway modelling (I have just renamed and renumbered Sandringham as Newcastle United...Howay the lads....).

We all complain now and then about price increases affecting our model trains, but I sometime console myself by looking at the prices of continental models, particularly German. I'm not sure I would still be buying at those prices, or if I was it would only be bread and jam on the table every day. These high prices also concern the models produced under the Hornby banner by the likes of Jouef and Rivarossi.

Anybody know what explains the difference. I was naively thinking they were all made in the Orient, anyway.

Hi, LC&DR. You are quite right about it being a Railroad model  and not to expect elaborate detail. This model looks from photos I have seen to be exceptional and extra detailing would be minimal to make it even better. I have perused the NRM website and found several very clear photos of 2001. The missing handrail I mention could easily be made from a piece of wire as it would fit directly behind the inner right smoke deflector. It is only the one side and needs no advanced modelling skills. Another thing I have noticed is that the wheel centres are black on the actual loco. Again this can be applied to the model with a thin marker pen or a paint brush. The cab detail can with patience and a steady had be easily applied. I am looking into felt pens for this purpose from Hobbycraft.I believe that paint applied to a pencil tip gives good results. I cannot make out if the tender chassis is lined in red but from the best photos it is plain black. Then lastly a crew to fit! I am forgoing the very fine white trim line around the front buffers as that is too fiddly. Hornby really do look as if they have done a great job here at a great price. If you come across any colour photos please give a link if possible.

No idea on TTS yet, the models are rolling in as and when Hornby relased them to us in the trade. We got our P2's a few days before Rails.  Lovely model, got one for myself to put away in the collection minters.

A model well worth the wait, it's lovely and runs like silk.  I see some are on the famous auction site for silly money already, no doubt some will pay well over the odds on there. Just waiting for our next batch and the superdetail version now.

Hornby deserve a well done for a superb model loco and for supply it to the masses in the Railroad Range.  Railroad is a great idea, from a retailers point of view we love Railroad as it sells so well and is easy to repair as a rule.

The missing details will no doubt be on the super detail super fragile one, but I can see the Railroad one being the one to get, the price is right and you get a lot for your cash.

Well done Hornby!

I have had a good look at the TTs version and the Railroad one I am awaiting delivery of (by way of photos) and I must sat that the Rairoad version is very lacking in decoration. I am regretting ordering it now. A big BOO BOO on my part when I look at the sound version for detail decoration. I think it will be going back unopened.

Archived