No Grip

HI just before christmas i found a 60/70's mini set for sale in a charity shop

it all works apart from the cars just sit on the track rear wheels spinning as if they were on ice. the fronts are free enough dose anyone have any ideas how i can get some movemnet into the cars , i do wonder if i can change the pick up braids at the front ,was this possible back n the days ofthe old mini sets ? 

• 2 weeks later...

90% certain it will be the tyres.  You could try 'sanding' them.  Hold the car over a piece of fine sandpaper and lower gently onto the sandpaper with the wheels spining. What you want to do is keep the wheels spinning whilst touching the sandpaper to remove a fine outer layer of the tyre.  You need to be careful not to overheat the motor, so a few short runs are best.

You should use this method of truing the tyres on all your cars, even those with new tyres.  It is the simplest and cheapest way to get considerably more grip.

Also don't feel the need to rush out and add magnets for more grip.  I find drving cars without the magnets far more satisfying as although the speeds are lower the skill factor is greater and you can slide the cars.  In fact I have removed the magnets from some of my new cars that come fitted with them! 

I always find cleaning the track and cleaning (or replacing) the tires (tyres) is preferential to adding magnets. If you race on a different type of track (Higher power forbid) such as Artin or Carrera the magenetic force is very different. Also you learn to really drive the car so if you go to a club that has, say a wooden track where there i no magnetic "downforce" at all you have less of a learning curve.

One other point: Clean your tires with alcohol or lighter fluid after sanding. You may want to put a few drops of plastic friendly oil (or if you are unsure wome water will do to get started) on them afterwards. If you get new tires the will likely need sanding (unless they are silicone, do NOT sand silicone)

Archived