How much?

rayarpino

Perhaps this has been discussed before, in which case I've missed it, but I was just wondering ho much it would cost today to produce the likes of the Hornby-Dublo (or Wrenn) engines using the same metal for the chassis and body, and with no added frills???

What do you think?

Judging by the fact that many of the new locomotives by Hornby and Bachmann already incorporate diecast components (boiler and running plate), and that Hornby Dublo and Wrenn were already using plasic in construction way back in the 1960s, and the Hornby Railroad range could be considered as 'no frills', I think the answer is "similar to today". 

I understand your point of view but with today's Wrenn we are talking very small batches, and that makes a world of a difference.

What I had in mind was the cost of a fully diecast loco with the minimum of plastic parts and no super-detailing, like the post-war HD production. I buy superdetailed models of course, and they are beautiful, but it's always tweezers and glue at the ready and don't let young children near them. I just like the feel and weight of the old die-cast models. I have some HD two-rail engines that have been going strong for 45 years with due maintenance and nothing has fallen off. Of course they are far from dead scale but the impression is there. And a HD 8F, refurbished (easy job) with new decals and moderate weathering is a great site hauling an incredible number of wagons I don't think a superdetail plastic will get anywhere near this sleeper-ripping capacity. And since the all brass, RTR models are well above my possibilities....And that being said I have an old but as new Fulgurex Italian pacific that is all brass but won't pull the proverbial skin off the milk....

I had a Wrenn Great Snipe. Went along the track like a kangaroo because the axles hadn't been centered on the wheels.

Jenny Kirk can get a Hornby Pug to pull 30 wagons, so I think the lack of pulling power of modern locomotives is greatly exaggerated.

The most significant cost in a new model is the development cost which is probably why new locos are very expensive. Once that has been paid off the next factor is likely to be labour rather than materials (unless of course you are casting in gold!

I would probably guess that the locos would be a bit more expensive than the railroad range. As a comparrison, in 1978 I recall buying a Wrenn LMS 0-6-2T (2385) for somewhere around £7.50 from a model shop in Beer Devon. At the time I think the more complex Hornby/Triang Flying Scotsman cost around £12 or £13 while the equally simple GWR pannier was around £5 pounds. Please note Wrenn seemed to be quite a large player at the time but with fewer outlets than Hornby Rovex.

However, my memory is a bit hazey so someone please feel free to correct me.

There are one or two  'cottage industry' manufacturers making limited numbers of Hornby Dublo style 'neverwazzers' and charging £200 to £400 depending on size.

Demand for 'new' Hornby Dublo /Wrenn is small but steady, and is being satisfied by such speciallists. As to second hand, the originals are so robust that the market is awash with them, especially common Dublo types.

The weekend before last I bought a boxed Hornby Dublo train set, complete with track, a Duchess of Montrose 4-6-2, and two corridor coaches in crimson & cream,  all in excellent condition (not faded, and no chips, scratches or dents), for £60. There was a goods set (2-6-4T) in identical condition for £65 but I had run out of cash by then.

Archived