• 2 weeks later...

Are you still reading and working on this?

The way I do it is; use dark grey/green, dark blue/green and medium blue/green paints. Working from the lower of the troughs between waves I paint the dark grey/green, the upper gets the dark blue green with the lighter blue/green at the top. I keep the paint wet so that each clour blends to the next. After that is dry it gets several coats of gloss varnish. Then after that I use a dry-brush technique but with a wet brush, of matt white, across the tops of the waves.

hth

• 6 months later...

Hi Richard.

Just come across your post about water effect, I concure with Frederick with the painting and in 72nd scale you could see all the colours. I take it you're modeling a European theme if it's the Med you should use lighter blue colours and if it's the Pacific may be more green should be used but the painting principlies are the same. As for modeling the water ther are many How-To's on the web but the best & cheapest way is using Acrilic paste from art supply stores. or you could try what I use for 600 & 350 scale waterline ships, that's Acrilic Tile Cement. It's non toxic, odourless, water soluble, easily moulded, can be sculped into almost any shape, and holds that shape, inexpensive and can be coloured with any water based paint for you base colour even house-hold PVA paints. Just spread it with a pallette knife (do not use a brush as the brush will be useless afterwards) and mould to your liking, (some practice might help)  it dries in a few hours but remains slightly rubbery so can be further modeled with a sharp knife or added to with more cement. (just keep it a moist air-tight container) You could even make up several colours and blend them into each other, the methods are endless just have fun.

Hope this helps. Remember we do this for fun  John the Pom

Archived