Triang Minic Motorways

engine driver 125

Hi,
Having recently brought a minic motorways coach and aston martin I am suprised that Hornby have not introduced somthing similar utilising micro-scalextrics track and chassis. Working vehicles really bring an extra dimension to model railways, although

I will not be able to put my minic motorways setup on my main model railway as I simply dont have the space. As the triang vehicles would work on the scalextrics track it would mean people with the old setup could add more cars and people would find it easier

to start a new collection. Would you like to see moving vehicles using slot car mechanisms that compliment the old triang range in the current range?

I would like to see:
-Flexible track (road),
-Some normal everyday 50/60's saloons (especially

a Triumph Herald Saloon),
-Some modern cars.

What would you like to see?

enginedriver125

A replacement for the old Minic system was subject of discussion on the old forum a few years ago. There was some support. Nowadays I believe we should look for something slightly more sophisticated, which reduced or eliminated the unsightly slot, and

also introduced some degree of flexibility. With micro technology something quite sophisticated ought to be possible even at 1 : 76 scale. Induction charging, digital wireless control and even some kind of linear induction propulsion should all be possible.

If you have seen 'T' gauge you should believe that it should be possible. Perhaps the Japanese will develop something first.

The minic system did have the nice road/rail sections allowing you to have quayside lines with road transport running on the same sections(trains permitting). The system certainly has great potential. Making the old system digital wouldn't be too hard

either, and as time and funds went on, a track compatible more advanced modern system could be introduced or eventually a new track system even.

There is a rather good Minic / Tri-ang layout that does the rounds of model railway shows. I saw it at Harrogate a few years ago. I gave all my Minic to my brother many years ago, and I think he still has it. I did have the level crossing and the road

/ rail section that SoT mentions. The slot arrangement was unreliable, and the cars needed a lot of finger poking to keep them running despite constant cleaning.

I have since seen a system that has a steel bar hidden under the road and the vehicles

had magnetic steering that followed this. These were buses and lorries, because they needed to carry batteries for propulsion, and were controlled by a switch attached to the vehicle, which was of course unrealistic, or trolley buses that collected power from

the overhead, and were controlled like a model railway train.

Hi,
I think the system LC&DR may have seen is the Faller Car System. This has a steel wire placed in a groove cut in the road and then plastered over, the vehicles are battery powered, and have a magnet that allows the steering to follow the wire in

the road. Model Rail did a two page article on it in April 2008 (The Pullman Issue). It is available in HO and N gauge with starter kits beginning at £60 (not cheap). Iv'e seen it in operation and it's very good, some of the vehicles are a bit to european,

but I'm sure it would be fairly easy to convert many of the vehicles available in the UK. Just reading the article as I type this, and in 2008 it was available from Gaugemaster. It would certainly enhance and Hornby layout.

As a member of the minic motorway owners group just to say a couple of members have been chipping their vehicals to run on a DCC system so it is possible. As the person who raised this issue on the old forum it heartening to see others have the same view

as me on how nice it is to see moving vehicals on a model railway layout. Ok there are issues with minic like the rubber that hold the track apart perishes over time but one of the unknow things about minic is you can reverse the vehicals, slowly or at speed,

which can not be done with micro or normal scalextics. The rail track has to be super 4 to be compatible with the minic rail/road track sections that are available or use plenty of converter rails.
The cars are a little large compaired to corgi trackside/

scaledale but the fire engine, breakdown lorry, Red and Green double decker buses, luxuary coach and Bedford TK lorries are spot on. I am using the scaledale bus depot with my minic buses.

I would like Hornby group of companies develop motorised chassies,

so most trackside and scaledale vehicals could be motorised to run on old or new minic and/or micro scalextric track and interact with current railway systems. This would be a cheap road system to produce as most of the moulds required are already available.

The rubber strips which perish with age are esily replaced, someone on EBay sells a good modern silicone equivalent of them for a price.

Yes indeed it is totally possible to have vehicles running in forward and reverse. When new in good maintained

fettle the system worked very well, but once the insulation in the track sections started to break down it became unreliable, however modern replacment long life insualtion is available and is simple to fit, the system is sorely missed. I agree about chipping

minic, it is perfectly doable to chip Minic Motorways stuff. Thinking of DCC, Minic motorways cars, buses, and lorries with working DCC lighting and DCC sound, it may be just about feasable with a micro sound decoder and micro speaker?

Imagine a layout

where the road transport is DCC and runs like your DCC railway, it simply plugs into your rail system too via road/railsections. That's Minic Motorways with a modern twist.

Totally agree about the cars being overscale Tony but as you rightly say the

other vintage road transport are to scale.

Might get my s/h Minic motorways Corvette stingray going sometime when I can find new tyres and a baseplate for holding the back axle in place.

As has been pointed out the track system used for road/rail

was Super 4 but easily compatible by use of the R.476 Converter Rail track sections to convert from Super 4 to System 6(Current track).

I think myself and Tony are in general agreement, moving transport on a layout is a must. Minic motorways would be

a welcome return.

Hornby have the moulds, surpised they haven't looked at it. A DCC or DCC ready road system surely must be the next advance.

One thing that the old system did not do that a re-issued system ought to is to remotely control the junctions, that way full DCC operation and computer control should be possible.

Somehow however I am not hopeful but I certainly would invest in

a few MINIC cars and a small layout if ever it came back.

There is a layout (more than one possibly), doing the rounds that also have a working canal. The power is provided by a motor bogie running on a track under the canal which is filled with water. The canal has to be very watertight of course. The boat has

a steel bar inside, and the motor bogie has a magnet on top, there being only about 5mm between the bogie and the canal. The magnet on the bogie drags the boat along. When the boat moves there is a proper bow wave!

Tri-ang also produced a horse racing

game called 'Jump Jockey' the race track was made up from sections of hollow box with a slot on the top. The motive power was again a motor bogie which collected power from a system not unlike Scalextrix, but concealed inside the track. The horses were mounted

on sticks attached to the top of the bogie. It never really caught on, but the idea was quite good. I wish I had bought one. It was bigger than 4mm scale I believe.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Would anyone be able to help a new modeller?!

I received a new dcc hornby set this year, which I'm keen to get set up soon. I also received a new scalextric kit too. Sadly, the two scales don't match (the cars are about twice the ho size)

Due

to space restrictions I don't think I can have the hornby and the scalextric sets up at the same time, but I'd really like to have a go at a permanent base, with landscaping. I have noticed that the Micro Scalextric is 1:64 which might enable me to create

a joint layout!

Has anyone got any experience of creating a shared baseboard with hornby and scalextric?

Many thanks

Rob

I saw this at Harrogate and was mightily impressed, principally at how reliable the cars ran.

My son has just bought my grandson a micro-Skalectric which goes like a rocket! the only real issue is that the pick up braids need constant attention.

At 1 to 64 it is slightly overscale for HO 1 to 87 or OO 1 to 76, but close enough if you are not too fussy. However the race track is only set up on the dining room table so I have no experience with dual running.

Today I recieved an old Minic catalogue full of period illustrations and prices in £/'d. As Triang Minic was introduced about 35 years before I was born it gives me a real insight into what was/is avaliable. So far I have a Coach, an Aston Martin DB4 GT

and this christmas I'll be getting a Rolls Royce and some track/controllers.

Happy Modelling ...

• 4 weeks later...
In the january 2012 edition of model rail there is a 6 page spread on a triang minic motorway and rail layout that was shown at model rail live at Barrow Hill Roundhouse in 2010 owned by Dave White. If a 50 year old toy can attract model rail press interest

then could it be time to bring back a modern version?

There is certainly a need for something like this as an added operational feature on model railway layouts. I suspect however that as Minic Motorways appeared at a time (early 60s) just before the various train makers ran into some difficulties there will

be a reluctance to venture out into potentially uncharted waters. Motorways do lend themselves to a form of DCC computer control and the prospect of junctions and roundabouts switching traffic is quite exciting. Working traffic signals too, and some means

of overtaking, which Minic could not do with the slot. I would anticipate it in future as computer controlled and guided using induction technology rather than a slot.

• 3 years later...

I just joined this great forum. I would love to briefly discuss and perhaps better understand why there is no renaisance of the 'Minic' brand?  Whether it be a case of 'as you were' in the shape of the traditional slot system, or whether the whole thing was brought up to date in digital form.

Either way, I just so wish Hornby would take the initiative and seize the day.  Why oh why can't Minic Motorway (MM) make a comeback!  I bet there's a market for it.

My hobby entails a modest model rail layout which I'm building slowly.  But I yearn for the days of my boyhood when I had both systems integratred via a level crossing.  Oh boy... if only.  I saw exactly this at the MRC exhibit in November at the NEC.  One system definately complements the other like hand & glove.

My own layout will be incomplete until I splash out for a 35-40 year old set that I can add. 

I'd really like to know if anyone out there shares my frustration at being unable to purchase new MM or at least a same scale system that would also work!

Archived