X9204 thermostat

S.K.StaffordHyde

Hello fellow modellers. Recently my live steam mallard has started running then after a few laps the controller trips out and sends out a high pitc scream, a bit of research suggests that it could be the boiler thermostat X9204. Unfortunately I can't find these anywhere. Does anyone know where I may be able to find one or maybe even an electronics company that make one suit?

Kind Regards

Shannan

Try here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hornby-Spare-Parts-X9204-Live-Steam-A3-amp-A4-Thermostat-Cutout-New-/170963327668?nma=true&si=IJGO3ztLCucSUNtm32U5G%252FtDf6Y%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

He says 20 sold 0 left but he may be able to give you an estimate for restocking.

Googled X9024 thermomstat and came up plenty of hits, many sold out though.

This may help as well http://oolivesteam.com/Forums/#/discussion/172/thermostat-thermistor

Before you go fitting new thermostat it can be a number of things one thing that does come up from time to time is the power connection from the tender to the white plug if you try pulling the 2 black wires one at a time at the tender end as they can break at this point and only the heat shrink sleeve is holding the wire in place giving an intermitten fault also the tender pickups fail in time giving the same fault. 

I have had the 2 pin plug on the printed board faulty and the heater in the loco intermittent good when cold but breaks down when hot after a time in all check all connections and heaters before jumping to the thermostat 

one check you can make is to wire link out the thermostat and see if the fault goes the remove the link and see if it has come back?

good luck

The other thing mentioned on the forums is heat transfer paste. I'm not a live steam man but if the chat is right and it is used on this component then it may pay you to clean this off and re-appply. Maplins sell the stuff for PC processor/heat sink use.

Heat sink compound is not your problem if this was to become poor in conduction then the opposite will happen that is to say that the thermostat will never work at the correct Temperatures and the cut out will not work causing over heat.

• 1 month later...

I doubt whether this is really a solution to your particular problem but in view of spares difficulties it may be worth a try.   I had a similar problem with thermostat after one of those 'run-away derailments' we steamers know.   The controller kept tripping and voltage was high, indications of a stuck thermostat.   I ended up giving the boiler a little tap with a small hammer and this seemed to jolt the thermostat to 'unstick'.   No more problems after that. 

Thats amazing - I think that is the third time in as many days I have read of someone giving something a tap or nudge to get it working. Cobalt motor, a shunter sticking on points and a starter motor all seem to have responded well to this treatment. Be good if it worked for you SKS. R-

Archived