Building My Own Live Steam King

Go_West

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WTD

I don't consider myself any better than the next man or woman and know there are people out there much better at modelling than me Take Cherry Hinds she was i think one of the best and when taking a model steam engine to the Model Engineering Show in London if she was there with a model you might as well go home as she would take the best in her class every time and the best in show. She lives now in the USA but no doubt would find her on the web.

But as for no limits yes there is many things I can not do and leave it to those more qualified than me. The one thing I like many miss is the people we meet along life's highway frends and family and wish sometimes we could turn back the clock and speak to them again about life in there times, I worked with a great chap that flew Sterling 4 engine bombers in the war a very quite man that made it to the end as many of his friends did not. He said to me one day when talking about steam engines that he could make one out of bits he found about the place we all said never, less that half an hour he turned up with some bits put together from brass pillars and tubing and a washer as a flywheel, blowing down the end of the tube and round the flywheel went we all looked at him in amazemen.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All live steam lovers an up date.

Well i had hoped to have some video of the King complete (in brass unpainted) with its tender running over points and crossings but its not to be?

I completed test runs of the tender behind an A3 and with a full load of water ran well steamed ok and run for over 34 minutes checks on the plastic frame strecher to see if it was melting or distorting show after about 6 runs it was still in good shape so the tender was conected to the King and after a test run which looked great something went and the engine stopped and dispite retiming adjustments new seals and new gaskets it will not run on its own let alone pull a coach so some investgations were carried out and many days spent checking every part but still no luck but thats what you get with development in my days gone by nearly every project had some fine tuning before it worked right which i dont think i should go into here.

All i can say is i will find out why this engine will not run as it has in the past shown great promise but your selves like me have other things to do me cars got and MOT in a few weeks and it has an oil leak on the steering box and the lefthand front wheels sensor is faulty and light flash up,and still got grass to cut but having gone this far i will get it running i hope so talk amoung your selves.

just a thought having said about my grand father and his time in the GER Stratford works i have started thinking i should be building an engine that he would have worked on so with this in mind i have just bought a brass kit of a B12 engine and this is a 4-6-0 inside cylinder so if it can be built then i will give it my best shot.

What a generous self effacing man you are gowest. Yes, we are all on a scale somewhere I know but to my mind you have to be getting up there with the best. There will be others thinking about life's highway and wishing they could meet you again - I am sure of it. It is a great pleasure to see your work on here and I look forward to many more updates from you. R-

I have just looked Cherry Hinds up the the Interweb - she has been awarded an MBE for her services to model engineering. This is a quote from the piece I found - no stopping her it seems! R-

Cherry Hill married late in life and immigrated to the USA and since the 1990s has lived in the Orlando Florida area and continues to build. Through a mutual friend and former director of the London SMEE (Society of Model and Experimental Engineers) I was informed that Ms Hill does not engage in correspondence nor does she receive visitors at her workshop because she feels that at age 80 she has a limited number of productive modeling years remaining and many projects yet to do.

WTD & R

30 or more years back I took models to the Model Engineering Show and to see Ms Hinds models close up made you wonder   how she built them to such a fine scale and paint finish. I managed a bronze medal a few times but could see that this was about as far as I would get in the skill! as my school report might say "could do better" Her models must be much sort after but I think she will not sell them.

I am just tinkering with the great job Hornby did on the A3 engine layout and by not taking on any major machining hope to show that anyone can rebuild an engine from the basic parts that Hornby made If they wish to. I must have a look and see why the poor old King has died. 

Well test on the new tender went well after the fault that I was plagued with poor steaming, turned out to be the 10 amp change over switch which changes from Zero1 to Live Steam. I came across the faulty switch when I put my hand on the bracket and found how hot it was so a closer look revealed that of the 6 connections 5 were loose and one was so loose that the silver screw had turned black.

so before you like me think that your engine has a fault first check out all the power conections. I do now remember having this fault some time back with a screw type chocolate block. 

/media/tinymce_upload/3b95906043cbdf6f9ff8a155e1c29fe3.jpg

Still with that out the way testing with the new tender was completed and a non stop run showed that 35 minutes from start to stop was the tender performance not bad.

now I could take some video of the complete set running around my track which I will post.

Now the video

There are still some mods and bits to make like the link from the tender to the engine and a coupling from the tender to the train.

i must order some paint and transfers plus the name plates to finish the job. And am already thinking about the next engine like I think I said must be a GER B12 as this was the engine that my grandfather must have made parts for. I have the brass kit now and a few ideas, as this engine has inside cylinders and inside crank looks like a real challeng.

/media/tinymce_upload/3693ef40f90bcf356dbc75440962792e.jpg

still what ever you are modelling good luck with your projects all we need is time and money? 

Keep watching for the final paint job and runs 

Hi WTD

30 minutes is about the time that the Hornby engines run for so I try to keep my engine to the same running time.

am I right in thinking that RTR stands for real time run ? Which would mean a video of some 30 minutes long? Which yes I can do but the 5 minute video above took about 3 hours to upload so would take about 6 weeks to upload very large files like 30 minutes so might be faster to send you a DVD.

Archived