Glueing the Canopy to a Model

For every single model I have built, I seem to always make an error in fixing the canopy onto a model. I would paint the area where the canopy would fit, leave this paint to dry overnight to ensure its dried enough, and use the Humbrol Liquid Poly against that painted area and attach the canopy.

Problem Im getting is that I see smudging, and its very annoying as I have put time into most models, and then, to be ruined on the very last part. 

Can anyone give me any pointers or advice? Thank you.

Hi,

You could try a couple of things. Humbrol make a product called 'Clearfix' especially for fixing canopies and clear parts.

An alternative is to use regular white PVA glue. Both work well in my experience.

If you are using the liquid poly try cleaning the paint off of the plastic so the glue is Bonding plastic to plastic and apply the glue sparingly.

let us all know how you get on..

Cheers

GF

The other thing with poly cement is that it is based on Methyl-Ethyl Ketone which dissolves the styrene to make the bond. This is also volatile so the vapour attacks the plastic as well. This is not a problem for the grey styrene pieces but it will etch clear stryrene and cause fogging even if you manage to keep the cement off the window surfaces.

As mentioned 'Clearfix' works well and can be used to cover gaps.

For clear parts and small chrome parts I use simply clear gloss paint, a liitle bit thicker than normal. Apply it to the body with a fine brush, let dry about a minute, so there are no fumes and than fix the clear part. Let dry thorougly, that is overnight. If there are gaps between canopy and fuselage, you can add some more paint afterwards. Paul

For every single model I have built, I seem to always make an error in fixing the canopy onto a model. I would paint the area where the canopy would fit, leave this paint to dry overnight to ensure its dried enough, and use the Humbrol Liquid Poly against that painted area and attach the canopy.

Problem Im getting is that I see smudging, and its very annoying as I have put time into most models, and then, to be ruined on the very last part. 

Can anyone give me any pointers or advice? Thank you.

The simplest, safest method it to use PVA white glue - it doesn't attack the plastic or paint and it has the benfit of filling any minor gaps around the edges that can be filled in with paint if needed. If you mess things up, you can wipe any excess off with damp cloth and start again.

PVA is also cheap, a £1 bottle will last years.

You can use CA (superglue) on clear parts without fogging if you first coat the part in Johnson's Klear (Future, Pledge multisurface finish, or whatever it's called now). This will also fill in any minor scratches and make the part look much clearer. If I was going to do this I'd probably use a gel type CA to give more working time.

You can use CA (superglue) on clear parts without fogging if you first coat the part in Johnson's Klear (Future, Pledge multisurface finish, or whatever it's called now). This will also fill in any minor scratches and make the part look much clearer. If I was going to do this I'd probably use a gel type CA to give more working time.

Always give your clear parts a dip in Future 1st. They will really pop.As for glue, good old Elmers white glue. By the time it either yellows or it stops being glue I will be long gone.

Archived