What's on your workbench?

81F

Posted (edited)

Currently I have 3 B12 chassis on my work bench, bought off ebay as "noisy runners but nor too bad. Having trouble with one as it keeps jamming when in reverse at low speed , but has got better after re-quartering the back set of wheels.

the other one kept faltering even on the rolling road but that was fixed after removing the pickup plate and bending the wipers otwards to ensure the the remained in contact with the wheels.

The third just needed an oil.

All ready for my LNWR Prince of Wales Project once I have worked out how which wire from a Bachmann 21 pin G2A tender needs to connect to what on the B12 chassis.

Edited by 81F

5 hours ago, 81F said:

Currently I have 3 B12 chassis on my work bench, bought off ebay as "noisy runners but nor too bad. Having trouble with one as it keeps jamming when in reverse at low speed , but has got better after re-quartering the back set of wheels.

the other one kept faltering even on the rolling road but that was fixed after removing the pickup plate and bending the wipers otwards to ensure the the remained in contact with the wheels.

The third just needed an oil.

All ready for my LNWR Prince of Wales Project once I have worked out how which wire from a Bachmann 21 pin G2A tender needs to connect to what on the B12 chassis.

One problem I have had with that type of chassis is the tender coupling bar moving when running in/testing and touching the insulated wheel causing a short circuit. Foxed me for hours the first time. it doesn’t happen when connected to the plastic tender. 

Thanks for the warning about the couplng especially as I am developing a brass replacement to couple the chassis to a Bachmann G2A tender for a project I am working on

• 2 weeks later...

Stickswipe, to those not familiar provides absolutely superb kits and 'aftermarket support' of lighting kits for locomotives not initially installed with them.

Some modelling skill is definitely required, the hardest I find is drilling the holes.

I have 2x Hornby 08's I've fitted kits to, which look superb, and 2x Bachmann 08's, for which I have the kits, but have just started - this includes 'flatting' the original non-functional moulded lamps, then drilling 0.5mm holes into each of them!!  Get one right, you feel great, then realise there's another 3!!

I'd left this a while, but decided to proceed y'day - and .... success!!

Next is to continue with the kit!!  I'm going steady on this one, but the holes have been done, which is a huge bonus.

Al.