4-4-0's Only

The son of Triangman

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
PP

I told Dave. Land Rover + steam railways + Beagle = Hours of Fun. My No 1 Beagle is stretched out on the Sofa behind me. Wives, a distant nightmare, a Beagle, an ever present friend, except when they break wind " Oh Oh, what an original...... Perfume !!!!

".

• 2 months later...
Don't forget that there were 4-4-0s for other LMS constituents that lasted into Grouping and even into Nationalisation. Most companies had them, in large numbers, including the LNWR, L&Y, Furness, and Caledonian, all of which cry out to be modelled.

Fazy, being very biased towards

the 4-4-0, and 0-6-0 types, I found your remarks interesting.
Just to name my two faves of the constituent companies of the LMS, have you looked at the Midland "990", and the L&NWR Geogre V classes. Get a picture up of both, take a look, and keep going

back to them.
I used to a fan of " Big, brash and fast ", to the point now, Hornby could scrap their current line up, and just release 4-4-0's, 0-4-4's, and 0-6-0's, and I would be perfectly happy.
PP and LC&DR, could throw in others from around the

UK, which they have. I have taken a squint, gone back taken another, and come away thinking, " Yes very nice ".
At the NRM, I wouldn't give the SE&CR D a second look, I love the D1, the rebuild, but now because LC&DR, keeps singing it's praises, it has

grown on me, I found a picture of one in Southern Green, kept going back to it.
At one time they were the A4's, MN's etc of the day.

Please don't get me wrong I am all for the lesser known classes I have a LT&SR 4-4-2t for one amongst others long overdue classes but on the 4-4-0's its only the ex-MR/LMS one's which would fit the eara so the 3/4Ps a 2p would be nice too as for the LNWR

4-4-0s I thought the were among the classes the LMS got rid of quite early on but have to admit I need to read up more on the LNWR more.

If it came to a contest between a 'D' and a 'D1' the 'D1' wins 'hands down' every time.

The D1 was a masterpiece, much ignored by people nowadays, but were frequent top performers in the hands of drivers like Sammy Gingell. Free steaming, free running

and fast. OK not as powerful as a Pacific, but with an appropriate load give stunning performances.

If I won Euro-millions I would commission a full sized replica immediately.

However I think it is important that the 'D' remains in the NRM, as

a splendid example of late Victorian / Edwardian extravagance.

Of course. And I read in my latest 'Main Line' that progress is being made with GCR Class 2 '567' at Loughborough with drawings being

prepared.

How about tidying up the D49, so that it is either a D49/1 "Shire" with Walsharts gear and GC tender, or aD49/2 with rotary gear and current tender? A D20 would also be nice.

Archived