R8249 decoder

cooped

Not exactly. The white wire is for the front headlight, the yellow wire is for the rear headlight and the blue wire is common return. You'd need to have lots of different lights before you got up to having to use the violet wire. :-) I know you can't really call a light at the back a headlight, but that's the term the NMRA uses. The violet wire is 'output 4', but that may not be controlled by f4. Roger (RJ) knows which function buttons are used. Here's the NMRA color code guide for decoders. http://www.nmra.org/standards/DCC/standards_rps/RP-9.1.1%20200801.pdf">http://www.nmra.org/standards/DCC/standards_rps/RP-9.1.1%20200801.pdf
-----------------------------
Get off the line Bobby.

Thanks again. I can see how this could quickly become confusing! As FinnerZ pointed out, pretty unlikely I'd get as far as needing this wire! maybe one day, when I get a little more advanced than the current changing loco address!

Hi, I have just joined this forum for the first time though I have visited this site(plusold one) for the past few years. In my opinion, the description on the instruction sheet doesn't explain in detail about the green and purple wire. I normally use the green wire for the cab light (press F1 on my Lenz 100) I use the purple wire for lighting the coaches using small connector I bought on e-bay. To activate this, all I have to do is press F2 button. No need to change CV at all. Alternatively, one can use the green wire for the front cab and the purple for the back cab. I wish Hornby instruction sheet explains this, its by trial and error that I found this. When used on a loco, I have to change CV4 to 0 to allow it to stop without jerking forward. I don't have to do this on R8245 (Sapphire). Due to its current limitation, I use R8249 mainly for lighting the dummy cars eg. class 43, Pendolino and Class 395 Hitachi and also lighting coaches. I think R8245 is the better decoder to run a loco. I hope this helps as I found the same problem when I first bought the decoder.

Guys,
the sapphire/8245 is a far more sophisticated decoder. more power, more flexibility, more capabilities such as autonomous running (programmed events), flashing/dimming lights, fuel/water simulation, re-mapping of functions/outputs.....

This

means that it is more complex to set up. You don't have to be a rocket scientist but you should plan to take some time understanding the various CVs.

Also note that it is significantly bigger than the 8249.

Greg

Guys,
the sapphire/8245 is a far more sophisticated decoder. more power, more flexibility, more capabilities such as autonomous running (programmed events), flashing/dimming lights, fuel/water simulation, re-mapping of functions/outputs.....

This

means that it is more complex to set up. You don't have to be a rocket scientist but you should plan to take some time understanding the various CVs.

Also note that it is significantly bigger than the 8249.

Greg

• 2 weeks later...
dcc ready locos have a socket for the decoder to plug into. Most (all?) dcc-ready from hornby have an 8 pin plug but other sizes exist too.

to use an R8249/8245 decoder in a dcc-ready loco you "just" plug it in. The violet wire is not terminated

on the 8 pin plug and flies loose. It needs to be insulated.

non dcc-ready locos are typically converted by cutting of the plug and soldering the wires directly.

I am surprised that a retailer replaced a decoder with the plug cut off.

Greg

Archived