Signals

LCDR

I would vote for a new, more realistic, three aspect, colour light signal.  These would be so useful, and if located and wired up correctly could create an interesting (and correct) sequence of aspects as the train goes around the layout.

Let us suppose there are three signals around the circuit. The one in front of the train will be at green, say, and the one behind at red.

The green signal that returns to red as the train goes by, and then clears up to yellow, and then green, all in sequence.

Hi LC

Could not agree with you more,we do need new signals both light and semaphor types.

with modern electronics it would be possible to build in a infer red light trigger at the base of the signal as the train passes through the light turns red with an adjustable seconds delay built in turns to amber then green. Each light unit working a a solo unit.  

You could even have that electronics switching power on and off to isolated track sections to avoid collisions.

Before you know where you are down that route, you'll end up running full blown computer operated DCC.  Ask PJ how well that is working just now.

LC, there is already a small company doing just this, using reed switches to trigger the lights. They also 'do' loads of other modules, for arc welders, oxy cutters, brazier fires, etc.

BUT, I think that Chrissaf should be persuaded to design and build a one-size-fits-all module, that does all the lot - on a single board!!   :-)

Hey Fishy, that is what we called 'Scheme Creep' at work. (I have heard it called 'Mission Creep'.)

Let us just stick to the original specification :-)

LC I'm afraid DCC/PC model railway operators find it very difficult to think outside the box as they say. I think any decent type of signal from Hornby would be excellent. Simple reed switch operation should be fairly easy and not a computer within a 100 yards. 

I am not in favour of reed switches for this purpose, every loco would need to carry an operating magnet, and these need to be adjusted regularly to ensure reliable operation. Not all locos can be fitted with magnets either. I would prefer the little phosphor bronze track treadles once used by Tri-ang which could be incorporated in the signal base for attaching to set track. The loco wheel presses it to the rail causing a circuit to make, it is at rest  0.5 mm or less above the rail so doesn't adversely affect any wheels passing over it. Alternatively some form of proximity detection could be used with LED / light sensitive cell might be developed.  

I did use reed switches with a shuttle unit which worked OK but fitting the magnets reliably gave me a load of headaches.

I am not in favour of reed switches for this purpose, every loco would need to carry an operating magnet, and these need to be adjusted regularly to ensure reliable operation. Not all locos can be fitted with magnets either. I would prefer the little phosphor bronze track treadles once used by Tri-ang which could be incorporated in the signal base for attaching to set track. The loco wheel presses it to the rail causing a circuit to make, it is at rest  0.5 mm or less above the rail so doesn't adversely affect any wheels passing over it. Alternatively some form of proximity detection could be used with LED / light sensitive cell might be developed.  

I did use reed switches with a shuttle unit which worked OK but fitting the magnets reliably gave me a load of headaches.

Well I wish I still had the drawings one of my work collegues came up with a system that senced the resistance in the motor of the train you had to have a resistor in the brake van or lit coaches.

The basic sensor and IRJ's where used to form the base track Cct from which a whole signal system could be run from.

Changing signals could be iether signal man or Automatic as required crossings worked as they should

light up the signal panel to show where the train was and it would show it moving on the panel

The only thing he never worked out was how to use the system to mimic electric staff opps.

The whole lot only required three different boards which cost about 2.50 to 5 dollars each to make

The upper cost would make a double sided board that you just turned over if it ever decided to blow up

no computors just simple electronics with only 3 or 4 components per board.

The only problem is choosing which signsls you want not semaphores.

Only because Dublo ones are to expencive to scource and I don't know of any good, something like scale other brand ones around that are robust and use the twin coil solonoid. 

Perhaps Hornby can be persuaded to fill the scale robust semaphore signal gap with a selection of signals.

Usual home and distant, split distant, double and tripple junction signals.

Just for something a bit different a mast with one two and three miniature arm shunts one above the other.

Also  perhaps a wrong road signal

That should cover most model situations and allow for a reasonable enough signal system, even on a small layout which usualy doesn't get a signal never mind any system.

regards John

Hi,

I was looking through older catalogues and my collection of books and I have come to the conclusion whilst on the rolling stock side of the hobby Hornby have come forward in leaps and bound in the operating lineside equipment department Hornby have gone backwards.

Currently you can obtain Semophore Single Home and Distant and the same with Junction signals, and a single two colour light, Go back a few years with the addition of a R633 point motor you could make the home and distant signal work. There was an an add on kit for junction sighnal to make gantry units, Go back a bit further there was gantry units for both Semophore and coloured signals. Go back even further you could get eletriclly operated semophore single home and distant as well as junction signal as well as coloured single and junction lights as well as manually operated. these could be wire up to change when you changed the point.

I think its about time that Hornby without reinventing the wheel looked at some of their modern v previous makings and relaunched a modern set of electriclly operated semophore and coloured light (LED) signals fit for purpose including scale. 

Hi Tony57

I think lighting can be taken a step further

I have some old Trix Twin semaphores that while manual and a little odd looking they are lit.

So with that in mind semaphores can have red and blue or yellow and blue specticals as apropriate

to signal type and be lit with a yellow mini LED in the signal lamp.

Semaphores very rarely actualy had green specticals but it was not unknown.

The green came from a blue spectical with a yellow oil light behind it,

the oil burned giving a yellow light

regards John

The Trix colour light signal (and I think their semaphores too) used a bulb in the signal base shining through a perspex light pipe up the signal post.  The colour light had two bulbs one red / one green, but the semaphores used one but the spectacles attached to the arm had coloured plastic lenses. Nowadays with tiny LEDs and Fibre-Optic wires it ought to be really simple to combine this to make a near scale sized model signalling system.

The Skaledale buildings are exquisite, the Hornby locos and rolling stock are marvellous BUT the lineside accessories like signals are lamentable. Come on Hornby, you can do better than that!

The Trix colour light signal (and I think their semaphores too) used a bulb in the signal base shining through a perspex light pipe up the signal post.  The colour light had two bulbs one red / one green, but the semaphores used one but the spectacles attached to the arm had coloured plastic lenses. Nowadays with tiny LEDs and Fibre-Optic wires it ought to be really simple to combine this to make a near scale sized model signalling system.

The Skaledale buildings are exquisite, the Hornby locos and rolling stock are marvellous BUT the lineside accessories like signals are lamentable. Come on Hornby, you can do better than that!

Here here all those in favor say aye ;-)

And with that in mind that makes it possible to have the back light  with or without the back blinder

on semaphore signals as well.

regards John

Archived