Running problems with King Richard II (R3370TTS)

Baslar

Hi,

Has anyone had problems with this loco, running RailMaster, where it suddenly takes off at full speed from the shunt speed setting having not done anything to cause it to do so. The same problem has occurred on two samples that I have tried and is unprecictable when it will happen. It appears to be a random event.

The sound works very well indeed and seems to not affect this issue as I've tried it with and without sound. This is a pity because it is otherwise good value for money.

Cheers, Baslar

Balsar, welcome to the forum with your 1st post.

TTS loco 'runaway' has been reported once or twice a week now for months. There are loads of posts on the subject.

Since you are using RailMaster, first thing to try is to use RM to reconfigure CV29 to turn off DC support. See page 71 of the RailMaster version 1.63 manual to see how to do this (notice the check box titled 'DC Operation' in the graphic on that manual page - this box needs to be un-checked).

Hi again,

Did as you say and it still runs away. My son also tried it on his layout and it does the same. Strange to find two samples with the same fault (or is it?)

It seems worse if you run it a less than 10mph

I should mention that when reading the CV's I get the message that the decoder is not recognised in the data base. This coming from a Hornby loco seems odd to me.

Sorry to hear that disabling DC operation didn't help. As mentioned before, many reports of same issue on the forum. Search "TTS" there are unfortunately a lot of posts to trawl through and there is no definitive "this always works" solution**. You will find many posts suggesting disabling DC operation in CV29 and explaining why. But if that didn't work for you, then I don't have anything else to suggest as I don't have any TTS locos in my fleet. It would appear that many with this issue have resorted to sending them back and getting a refund.

** or to save you searching through all the previous posts. The stock answer given by most in the previous posts (as well as disabling DC operation) is to give the loco wheels (including pickup contact wheel flanges) and track a thorough and I mean really thorough clean with a chemical cleaner such as Isopropyl Alcohol.**

The not recognised message is systematic of poor communication between controller and loco decoder. It is not recognised because the controller is having difficulty reading the decoder. Try reading it again with your main track disconnected from the track output of the controller, so ONLY the loco on the programming track piece is connected, this is a TIP recommended by HRMS and sometimes helps. This poor communication could be due to wheels and pick-ups not being spotlessly clean (see italic paragraph above).

I mention this just in case it is relevant. If your layout was originally a DC one and you upgraded to DCC at a later date. Did you replace the DC power track connections with the DCC variants. The DC versions have integral TV suppression capacitors that adversely affect the main track DCC signal, including the ability to read and write CVs correctly on the 'programming' track, if the 'programming' track is also using an earlier DC variant track power connector.

Hi Chrissaf,

Thanks for your reply. Being a new loco one tends to assume it will be clean but that may be an illusion. Chances of two being in that state are less but who knows?

Now you have me regarding track connectors I simply have wires soldered to two fish plates as my track is in the process of being properly laid. I am planning a complete new layout being new to DCC. My son started me off again in 00 after years since my early days with the old DC trains I created for my kids. Seeing his ambitious layout running on DCC astounded me. My main interest up till now has been Welsh Narrow gauge in TT scale 12mm using white metal kits. I also build live steam 5" gauge.

I have other DCC 00 locos that don't give this trouble so why should I blame the track? I am willing to try anything though. I did not know there are DCC type connectors. I must ask my son about that.

Regards, Baslar

Is it possible that DC operation has actually NOT been disabled? Every time I get a new loco and program it's address and other functions, I always set CV29 to disable DC. HOWEVER, since I have a layout equipped with "old" Dc-only locos that I sometimes like to run, I can "switch" my layout to DC. I have found out that for some reason, the programming of CV29 (usually to "2", I think), doesn't work the first time and the loco will respond to DC. After re-setting CV29, usually it no longer reacts to DC. Maybe a good idea to see if loco still responds to DC?

Just a point of clarity Baslar. If you have got your controller wires soldered directly to the track. Then ignore my comment about DC versus DCC track power connectors. A directly soldered wire connection is the best connection method you can get for DCC.

Regarding dirty wheels, but loco is brand new comment. Being brand new there may be a coating of protective oils on the wheels.

Since you said you have same issue on son's layout, and you have other DCC locos that run OK on your own. Then that points to the new TTS loco being the culprit. As said before, these Hornby TTS locos do seem to have a lot of issues given the number of posted threads devoted to them.

Not that it is relevant to your issue. You might want to review my "Getting Started with Extension Track Packs" document. Download link in locked post at top of 'General Section'. It has a full description of the different types of DC and DCC track power connectors (Hornby ones that is). As someone relatively new to DCC, you might find Section 6 of my document an interesting read.

• 2 years later...

I have had the same problem with two King class locos with TTS sound. A slight short on the track and they go away at full speed. I have changed CV29 to disable DC (2) and thought it had resolved the problem. Everything works OK so CV change had no impact on anything else, however it sensed another loco moving close to it and started to move although this time quite slowly which makes me think DC is switched off as it did not go off to full speed. I have 3 TTS decoders with this problem, and I sent the first problem King Richard back to Hornby who return to say they had checked and no problem. Clearly there is a problem and I am surprised that Hornby have not picked this up and made comment. I know they are inexpensive decoders but not worth it if they fail.  Also I couldnt read the decoder from my Gaugemaster Prodigy advance. I certainly wont buy any more TTS decoders until Hornby first recognise and acknowledge the problem and confirm it is now resolved          

@shent..........have you read the instructions with advice concerning the alternative motor algorithm #2......I change my new TTS decoders as a matter of course to ensure smooth & reliable running.......i.e. CV150 = 1.......my King class runs perfectly on Elite controller.........HB

Shent

It may help Hornby to work out where the problem lies if you could repeat the cross activation fault and maybe catch it on video. Is it always the same loco that activates and if so what is the decoder installed.

Also confirm your controller and firmware revision state.

Also describe what your power bus configuration is (if any), loop, radial, etc and if so do you have bus ‘terminators’ installed and if so using what value components. 

A lot  of further questions but the more information the better. Once we see the answers they can be flagged to Hornby for investigation.

Thanks Rob

Archived