Ringfield motor to cd player motor conversion

dynax

Obviously a successful conversion dynax.

It would be good to know part number(s) of the motor used as the problem I have found is all the motors in my spare CD drives are skeleton type with no real can to mount with and when searching on line for them trying to find one with suitable dimensions to fit the ringfield housing has been a struggle.

The actual conversion looks as if it would be so simple as to not require instructions but if you have them handy I'm sure people would appreciate seeing/knowing how it was done.

A company called Modeltorque in Australia that now no longer exists, and another company in Ireland whose name escapes me, made/make these motors fitted with a bracket with fixing holes that line up with the screws that hold the cover on a Ringfield type motor. The motor Mike has used doesn't appear to have any bracket. 

Nice!

As an aside, your 'under construction' layout is messier than mine - it tends to get used as a storage shelf when I'm not using it!

If you had painted the boards green before you put the track down, it would give the appearance of grass, until you get a round tuit and use flock, etc.

Hi Raf, the motor is a susumotor from ebay, it does require some mods to the original housing and once done it can't be used again without major surgery for a ringfield so be warned, the original bearing in the housing has to be removed and the hole enlarged to fit the cd motor casing flange about 6mm, then i used the original 3 pole pinion gear and enlarged the shaft hole slightly, the new motor has fixing holes on the shaft side which are used to secure it to the housing with some very small machine screws, i don't know what size they are i had them in my bits box, i had to make some plastic washers which are simple, when fitted i used some heatshrink tubing with superglue on the shaft then glued the pinion gear on, rebuilt the rest of the gearing and wheels wired up as normal dc and tested,

2e0tdoeric, haha, i'm modelling an over used landfill site at the moment 🤐

I managed to salvage a motor from an old DVD drive with a real can, which runs nice and strong on 9v DC, but despite being of suitable diameter it is too thick at 12.5mm to fit in the ringfield housing with fouling the centre wheels of a Co-Co.

This one was the tray drive motor with 2 wires. The spindle motor had an integral fixed backplate mounting the rotor and fed by a ribbon cable. The can rotating like an old rotary biplane engine, so was unsuitable. 

I'll resume the search for a 9mm one.

Hi Raf, in the link you posted on the first page, he does have a couple of 9mm ones, but does state on one of them for experimental use, but they are only a quid or so each, the ones i have converted are bo-bo bogies, i can see that with a co-co bogie the central wheelset would be fouled up by the motor, i have had a look around for a 9mm thick motor but the only ones i have come across are 32mm diameter, apart from the guy in finland i can't seem to find any that would work, the only other way would be to commission a manufacturer to make one, but it all come down to cost,

@dynax

I've used Ali-Baba for parts before and searching for these motor types brings up literaly thousands of variants, not all of which are dimensioned, some of which are the correct size but too low a voltage (e.g 3-6V), etc...

The search goes on ... as I have one particular motor bogie that I fitted with (twin arch shaped) neo magnets which caused it to be so notchy it would not run until you firmly poked it then wouldn't run slowly. Putting the original magnets back in allowed it to run smoothly but with not enough torque to pull its own weight on track although it will run on the rolling road. The model is currently running dual motor bogies of the same kind, but is not satisfactory as they are not balanced.

• 1 year later...

Hi Guys i have got my hands on an old hornby intercity 125 with a ringfield motor i had a look at u-tube to see how i could convert the motor to cd-motor.The problem was finding a motor suitable,late last night i found this online looks to be just the job according to the reviews 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2PCS-RC300-6000RPM-DC-1-5-9V-Micro-Motor-for-CD-DVD-Player-PK/332261451371?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

ordered two,hopefully with the help of u-tube its a success the ringfield motor in the intercity 125 is a non runner anyway so i have nothing to lose 

Same ones as were 'found' last year Paul.

You can use the 12mm thick one for 4-wheel bogies but you need the 9mm one for 6-wheel bogies to clear the centre wheel pair and not all ringfield housings are suitable, i.e. the one with arch shaped magnets as the intergear shaft bearing gets in the way.

Rob

"

"i.e. the one with arch shaped magnets as the intergear shaft bearing gets in the way.

Rob"

Could you clarify please??

I am faniliar with round magnets made of ferrite and rubberised/plasticised material but by arch do you mean the round type with 2 'horns' to locate it?? Or are you referring to the ex-dapol class type where the 2 magnets are on opposite sides of a steel rim?

Thanks for your help

Bob Hughes

I have now converted about 30 Ringfield to CD motors.I have run them in my 30-40 year old Duchess fleet on my 19 volt circuit!.

Don't worry about overrunning the voltage on them as they will never stay on the track @ anything above 6 volts!

It is amazing though to see the 'crawl'' of my ''Old Ladies'' at 0.5 volts.The torque is fantastic and excelleration has to be seen to be believed!

I am at the moment sourcing some gears as they are also getting rare? I have most of them inc. a replacement plastic spur gear which makes such a difference to noise.

I have built one complete motor with all new sourced gears and the difference is amazing.The gears are a bit thicker so the brass retainer has to be redisigned.But we are getting there.

The beauty of this conversion is that