TRIANG SYDNEY SUBERBANS

Forum-1211528

/media/tinymce_upload/7a34f87c993bf2e2b2f79abb05b752c2.jpgTRIANG MOULDEX made the SYDNEY SUBERBAN SETS these were great i have two it ended with the closure of MOULDEX but someone in Australia is making them again i dont know who so why doesnt HORNBY stock them as they would look great on any layout!

Tri-ang was the trademark of the three Lines brothers who were toymakers whose family had been in the business since the 19th Century. (Three Lines = a Tri-angle)  They took over a company called Rovex who made electric train sets for Marks & Spenser in 1950 and improved them and also took over another company 'Trackmaster' who also made OO scale clockwork train sets, incorporating them into the range. The Rovex brand was absorbed into the Tri-ang toy business together with Minic, Frog, and Pedigree, amongst others. The name Rovex however became secondary to Tri-ang and therefore the new and improved electric OO scale trains became known as Tri-ang Railways.

Frank Hornby had established a model railway system in1920, built on his highly successful Meccano product, and at first based on the Meccano principle of nut & bolt construction kits. It ran on O gauge track although scale to gauge ratio was liberally interpreted. In 1938 Meccano introduced a true to life OO version which was called Hornby Dublo, and which would it was anticipated  gradually take over from the Hornby O gauge.

In 1965 Tri-ang was doing so well it had driven its ailing rival Hornby Dublo into financial difficulties and Meccano had to agree to a take-over , and the two product ranges merged for a period.  The true Liverpool designed Hornby Dublo models were shortly afterwards moved out of the Tri-ang Rovex stable fairly quickly to a another recently aquired subsidiary firm, G & R Wrenn, who had also been taken over by Tri-ang at about that time.  Tri-ang however saw great advantage in aquiring the prestigious Hornby title, and styled themselves Tri-ang/Hornby.

Competition from other pastimes soon began to affect the profitability of model railways, and other toys, so  in 1971 the Rovex railways was sold to Dunbee/Combex/Marx Ltd, but the name Tri-ang was NOT.  So at that moment the Rovex system had to become Hornby Railways.

The Tri-ang brand still turns up on other items, such as Minic Ships, now made in Hong Kong, but cannot now be used for model railways.

Rather than bringing back an obscure (for the UK) Australian electric multiple unit type Hornby would be better tooling up a new Southern Electric 3Sub.  I am talking about an upgraded version of the Tri-ang one with correct length body and accurate number of compartments. Hornby are already half way there, as the 2Bil & 2Hal motor coach underframe, bogies  and motors can be used because they are identical.

The 3Sub type was very common on the Southern, more so than the 2Bil and 2Hal.  The LB&SCR body style was very common too so the arc roof gives them a distinct shape compared to the 2Bil & 2Hal.

/media/tinymce_upload/15195ffe85395d9741da6819d5994deb.jpg

This is a 1920s 3Sub converted from LBSCR steam stock, on standard 62 foot underframes  extended to 4Sub in the 1940s by the addition of a trailer car from a war damaged set. Seen here in 1958, these lasted until 1960.

Maybe because their not made by Hornby! 

RUBBISH,  MOULDEX was owned by EXIN LINES BROTHERS trading as TRIANG ROVEX LIMITED this company changed its name to HORNBY HOBBIES LIMITED so YES HORNBY did make the SYDNEY SUBERBAN SETS so get your facts right and all HORNBY MODELS have an R number as its still ROVEX!! 

Before you jump down my throat. Your the one that said they were being made by and I quote "someone in Australia"  Which suggest you are aware it's not Hornby. So I stand by what I said "Hornby don't sell them because they don't make them" 

Archived