Windows 10 with eLink and railmaster

Summarising this case, rather than mine John, and it seems that Initially there appeared to be a delay from HRMS, however they say an email not received and they responded in their typical less than 24 hours, confirming that Bsb's setup was correct for W10.  The problem has now been minimised rather than eliminated by a replacement Dell machine.

The reason it worked on the older W7 machine appears to be that it was an older machine, rather than an older OS and had fully functional USB ports unlike the new machine.

Most of the initial setup problems we see on here are due to it's being incorrect.  So even though Bsb had RM working on his W7 machine, we first think that with the new one it could still be driver, or ini file, or a more aggressive newer version of AV on the new machine.  It only became obvious later in the thread that Bsb had the knowledge and skills to avoid all of these problems in his detailed exchange with AC, leaving a possible firmware issue, also eliminated, or the USB port.  Overall, an interesting case study for those giving advice to people.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@yelrow

Hi John

Dell usually make their own motherboards with a certain architectural build. This can cause issues as can others. However, Dell seem adament that they use thier own proprietory stuff. They are more interested in buiding servers and blades for business than anything else. PC's used to be a huge part of their sales list but it is now laptops. My interpretation of them is that build en-masse and pass out models that are not too bad really but aren't up to scratch when looking at all the hardware inside together. They can be notoriously slow and full of bloatware that is absolutely useless most of the time.

Lenovo also had loads of problems. They are trying hard to correct a lot of these but it will take a bit of a push to change most techies minds on their hardware. HP (and subsequently Compaq - same company in essense) had major issues with overheating nVidia graphics chips and they blamed nVidia for not providing a chip that ran cooler on their boards. nVidia blamed HP for not providing a strong enough fan and cooler system. The case is still progressing in the States on this one and is big.

While not fully understanding the situation regarding electrics (I know enough to get about) I do know the further away from a supply of power on the board something is the more it can break down with fluctuations where voltage supply is concerned. The more sockets applied to one track on the board means that power is shared. Sometimes, therefore, sockets, like USB, will not be powered enough. It is also down to poor builds to keep costs down... poor soldering and quaint but way to thin wiring.

Acer are NOT one of the culprits here. I use Acer a lot and have no issues at all. Dell got lucky with businesses and pushed their systems a lot to companies in the States and through time banks et al took up with them in the UK through server technology and because of that bought loads of desktops on the assumption that they must buy these because they bought Dell servers! Duh.... Their systems are bulky, heavy, and full of totally unnecessary parts in their PC towers, one of which is the useless plastic funnels they place over the fan covering the heatsink on the processor. Total waste of space.

While I do not want to particularly decry any company or systems there are lots of poor systems made to look great on sale all over the place. Whether it be a laptop or PC, tablet or phone. I don't touch Apple products simply because they are far too proprietory in their demands and not compatible with my world. Android is OK as it is but again they can leave a lot to be desired.

There are too many systems which push apps in everyone's face and let's look at this objectively... apps are fine in some ways but manufacturers install lots of them to do a job that is already covered by other software already installed. I'm afraid it is down to money guys and what the marketing mob can make from the folk who don't ask questions.

Back to the USB subject and more... there are a few makes of laptop I would not go past to get to another... Acer, Toshiba and Asus. While Acer can be budget to a point they do offer great hardware and lots of ports without skimping on something else. Difficult to take apart if you don't know what you are doing and no service diagrams are easily found. Toshiba? Very good machines most of them if you know where to look but they do carry too much bloatware, can be heavy and cumbersome. Great for maintenance with service manuals readily available. Can last a long time or break down within a year or so. Asus... sturdy, powerful usually and offer some great hardware mixes... can be expensive though but do last.

I always go Acer, at this point I have three and the one I am so pleased with is a Timeline X 5820TG I believe (without looking!!) which cost just under £800... but was one of the first around to be light and with an ultra thin screen. Bought three or four years ago roughly and still working superbly well with Win10 installed.

So... just to add this one final point for you John... it mostly depends upon the architecture of the motherboard and who makes it. A Toshiba laptop motherboard for example could be made by a PC motherboard manufacturer like ECS or WinFast etc... a little like Acer with their laptop chargers... made by Lite-On which are very good by the way.

A little research into the hardware on a machine you want to purchase is always prudent. Just because the specs on the box, the display in the shop and what the guy trying to sell the machine says does NOT mean a good choice made if you buy it on the say so of a seller or nice pictures or even nice displays in store and fantastic graphics via a demo!!

What you WILL find here is when a machine looks and sounds and feels great when you get it home it will almost certainly, on deeper checking, have a slower spin rate hard drive, low drive space for the specs you have, not enough memory to do the extra you need and shared graphics with the processor or memory. USB sockets can be listed as USB 3 and backward compatible when they are really NOT. Several have been caught with this one already. I always check and do take a USB 3 piece of hardware to a shop and test it with a machine with exclusively USB 3 sockets or at least a majority of them. PC World is better for this as their machines are open for demo...

Hope this all helps but apologies if there is a little waffle included... 😉

My Windows 7 system was a Dell Optiplex 9200, the Two Windows 10 Systems where Dell XPS 8700 and 8900. I have a Dell business account and only buy their business systems. My main interest is Radio and Satellite communications so I have lots of hardware connected to USB ports some with Comm emulators some direct. This was this first problem I have encountered in about 16 years of use. I think we can rule out their USB subsystem since I installed a dedicated PCI usb port card and that did not work.

I decided before moving on my Windows 7 Dell to install fresh Windows 10 Pro and I had the same connection issues as the other systems.

Once I had made connection with the new system on Thursday I did inform RM, I have not heard back but there is no need for me to.

I have on three separate occaisions over three days tried to contact Mark Lodge to discuss the eLink hardware, each time he was on the phone and would call back but he never did.

When I purchased my first eLink it was DOA and a replacement was sent out, that had a PSU problem so a third unit was purchased from another supplier in January and that is the one I have now.

It was because I had no reply from Hornby I decided not to purchase one of their DCC hardware controllers and go with another manufacturer.

Now I have the best of both worlds, software and hardware control.

Thanks for the support from this forum and RM.

BSB, hi, am a tad confused. Are you saying you intend to use RM/ elink for accessories, and other make for locos, or that your new controller has a computer based programme, as it is my understanding that RM, will only work with hornby, which is why i suggested the Elite. If you still cannot make your elink work, then RM, use is out of the question, or as usual, have i missed something. john

RM have suggested I send my elink box to Hornby for repair/replacement, I just need to get Hornby to acknowledge the problem, after several phone calls last week I await a return call. CS having told me only Mark Lodge deals with RM issues.

If I do not hear anything I will leave things as they are, at least it works now.

Foggy, Clegg, Compo and was there not a chap called Rog? Maybe not.... they changed them a bit in the last few series...

We could always 'imagine' a 'Rog' for you R... I would be erm... dunno... a right character and a half probably coz that was the norm... 'Norm'... geddit? I'll get me coat... 😎

Just a final follow up, my box is still working even though RM requested I get it sorted with Hornby I do not think that will happen.

I first called Hornby on 29th February regarding the problem and was advised I needed to speak with Mark Lodge since he dealt with RM matters. On the 3rd and 4th March having not received the call back I made further calls to advise what RM had found with the possible cause being the elink box and was told Mark would call me but he was on the phone. I also sent an email at the weekend to Mark Lodge indicating what RM had concluded but so far no reply. Yesterday I called HCC and asked if someone else could get the box repaired/replaced and was told they would call back within the hour but that failed to happen. I am not chasing them anymore and will live with the box I have and make no further firmware upgrades just in case it fails. I have hardware control now, so I will use my Railmaster and eLink for programming track duties for the time being.

A final thanks to RM and forum members that have provided me with assistance, at least it was not down to the Dell PC as first thought.

The communication gods sure don't like you do they Bsb?  Just so you know, Hornby has a history of replacing eLinks considered faulty by HRMS so, if you ever have Mark get back to you, that's what the probable outcome will be.  There were quite a lot early on as initial supplies when first released seemed to be anything but reliable, not so much lately though.

And firmware, you are at latest 1.07 now aren't you?  Irrespective, the thing is that you will be wanting to update RM to latest at regular intervals as it changes and the updates include firmware updates with the RM updates.  So it will attempt to update the eLink if found to be earlier.

Might work better if an upgrade comes out.  That should be the result.  Suggest you keep a copy of the 1.07 upgrade somewhere so you can go back if not.  Certainly wouldn't be a good idea to not do RM upgrades when they come out.  Worth doing from time to time from the link as they often sneak in revisions that don't trigger the auto upgrade function.

The Internet connection has only two other functions other than software activation and that is to perform the start up software update check and for requesting support via the integrated support request function. Also note that if the intention is to use RM with other handheld wifi devices i.e iPad and/or smart phone then you will need an Internet wifi router to connect the devices together, but the wifi router itself doesn't have to be Internet connected.

A standalone (non Internet connected) wifi router has been reported as being required when the Hornby RM / handheld mobile device control solution is being used at a remote location such as an exhibition hall for example. In such a situation, it would be unlikely that the RM control system would be Internet connected.

EDIT: John just got in ahead of me as I was typing. His post also concurs with my reply.

EDIT 2: In light of your reply directly below BSB, I'll just add that when the start up update check finds a new version is available. You are given the opportunity to decline it. In other words, RM doesn't automatically install it and overwrite your current version.

Archived