Class 37 (37093) in Police Livery

daffyduck

Hey,

As much as that would have a lot of play-value to it, do you think it is viable? I would love to see one, but personally I don't think it's a viable option.

• Firstly adding that flashing light on the roof would mean modifying the tooling to accomodate the small flasing light and blue lens. I don't think that it will be worth it for such a modification.
  • Secondly even adding sounds to a decoder just for a single run (or maybe two) of just this type won't be viable again. It will cost money. If it was that easy to improve sounds I'm sure Hornby would've changed that awful TTS steam whistle.

So yea as much as I want one, I don't think it's possible. Take it up as a personal project!

Definitely real - just google class 37 police livery and select images not web"

i'm not sure what you have against the TTS steam whistle as there are many of them and all recorded from life.

running a TTS version off wouldn't be much problem as the class 37 sound bit is already there and adding functionality for the horns just means swapping it for some other sound like guards whistle or door slam and the blue lights could be worked from F25 already allocated for aux lighting.

modify the body work to add the blue ligets on top no great deal but alternating headlights may be more complex.

as I see it the livery would be the hard job unless Hornby still have the Lima drawings to update.

I'd forgotten that one PP

Kernow Model Rail Centre  (Model Rail Offers.co.uk)  did a limited edition run of 150 ViTrains models of 47829 a Virgin Trains loco in police livery, in three version, standard, DCC fitted or DCC sound. It ran in the livery from 2002 until withdrawal in 2007.

It did exist JBM so would look correct on many layouts

Definitely real - just google class 37 police livery

I'm confused, I don't recall saying it was fictional. I'm very much aware of it being real and also the Class 47. They stand to be on of my favorite liveries. I merely stated that replicating the siren would mean added cost (yes there's thousands of sirens everywhere. But if it doesn't match Hornby will still get bashed for it. And also replicating the blue flashing light on the top wold be rather difficult. It means modifying tooling to incorporate a light that can flash.

I'm not sure what you have against the TTS steam whistle as there are many of them and all recorded from life

Nothing really, just that there's a standard set of whistles that don't match the prototype from all the videos I saw. TTS is more suited to diesels IMHO. Steam can be a hit and miss for many. Not that I care, personally feel that TTS was the most innovative thing of the decade.

Kernow Model Rail Centre  (Model Rail Offers.co.uk)  did a limited edition run of 150 ViTrains models of 47829 a Virgin Trains loco in police livery

Correction, still have to do it, KMRC didn't do a ViTrains one. ViTrains was listed as the manufacturer for the commission, but afters a couple of years of delay KMRC switched over to Bachmann and it is still to come.

That being said if Hornby do take this suggestion seriously then I think a TTS sound Class 37 and Class 47 will be lovely. I know the Class 37 ran with a siren and flashing light for the HST advert, but I doubt such a feature was kept on afterward in regular service. So just having the two with standard TTS is good enough for me.

I googled Class 47 police livery, selected images tab and middle of the second row there is one in a box from the Vectis auction site in 2010  by Heljan pn 4665 and further down there are pictures of it on a couple of layouts.

In the 37 advert the horn sounds to me as if it was dubbed by looping the standard two-tone horns.

Archived