SR Locomotive

Tony57

Having become interested in SR Locomotives recently my wish would be for Hornby to produce a new Lord Nelson Class locomotive,  in view they already produce a suitable 4 6 0 chassis and tender chassis for the 4 6 0 King Athur class, all that is required would be a  lococmotive and a tender body

I would also like a 2 6 0 N class as well.

• 7 months later...

The 'N' has been 'done' and Bachmann are still releasing new versions, BUT the U / U1 hasn't. Superficially similar to the 'N' a good alternative might be the larger wheeled 'U'  class especially as there are more of these preserved.  A really interesting alternative would be the 3 cylinder 'U1' with the 'piano' front buffer beam.  Or perhaps the tank version of the 'N' the 'W' class which would happily appear in all regions working inter-Regional goods trains.

Now wait for howls of objections from non-Southern supporters.  

Hasn't the Tri-ang L1 been butchered to make a very poor attempt at a LMS 2P?  Given that a new set of tools would probably be needed anyway.

Given that Bachmann already make a suitable tender (with the N) I guess that they will be more likely to make an L1 before Hornby.  I would also bet on a Wainwright 'D' using the C tender from Bachmann possibly in conjunction with the NRM in the next 5 years.

Hasn't the Tri-ang L1 been butchered to make a very poor attempt at a LMS 2P?  Given that a new set of tools would probably be needed anyway.

Given that Bachmann already make a suitable tender (with the N) I guess that they will be more likely to make an L1 before Hornby.  I would also bet on a Wainwright 'D' using the C tender from Bachmann possibly in conjunction with the NRM in the next 5 years.

Yes! They did that! 😉

Has anyone made a 2P (Hornby/ Airfix/etc. into an L1????

" Has anyone made a 2P (Hornby/ Airfix/etc. into an L1????"

Nearly - I used an Airfix tender drive 2P to power a Golden Arrow kit for a  Maunsell D1/E1 4-4-0. Sits a bit high though.

"And where is the G5 that you foresaw??"

Patience, Patience!!

HI PP

Yes I am aware that Bachmann made both locos but they both have the pallitoy split chassis and other issues including being non DDC ready (Last Nelson class released in 2008, N class in 2011) 

I thought that the N class had a modern non-split chassis - it was first released at the same time as other Bachmann locos with non-split chassis.  Perhaps someone who owns one could let us know?

Archived