Anything apart from rolling stck?

JLBA

Just about all threads regarding wishlist seem to be relating, naturaly, to rolling stock. Anyone have any other ideas, such as lineside stuff, buildings, vehicles, scenery, etc,etc? One i suggest is relating to a recent thread, platforms that have no

indent on the top! Though it wouldnt benifit me as i scratch build them to suit. One i have mentioned before is some kind of semephore signal kit, so you can make a signal to suit your needs, obviously with a guide to signaling so you can get a realistic set

up, also ground shunting signals. Oh yeah and some realalistic clour light signals, sorry to say it hornby, but the current ones are hidious! Im sure a young child could make a more realistic looking sign with a picture to copy and some odds and ends!!

Hi JLBA Signals are a bit of a fetish with me! Because the old semaphore signals were so tall, it was the sight of a post with red or yellow arm that was the first clue as to the presence of a railway as you travelled around. The answer to both kits of

semaphore and accurate colour light signals is "YES!!!!!"

try www.modelsignalengineering.co.uk or even just "MSE". This is run by Andrew Hartshorne who, if you place an order will give you some free advice regarding the siting of signals, how they work,

and any sort of local knowledge. For example, he caters for all lines post and pre-grouping into British Railways and then modern day colour light arrays.

Whether you are modelling LNER or Southern GWR, LMS, LNWR or LBSCR or KESR - whatever, Andrew

will have suitable signal kits.

I already have a superb kit of a Southern upper quadrant signal on a lattice LSWR post. It looks so good and only cost £9-50p. There are also operating levers and wires available to have control from your control panel.

I

favour the GEM wire in tube system available from GEM (3SMR) of Redhill. The MSE lever assemblies are very sophisticated and rather expensive.

I would like to see electric operated working double track level crossings both barrier and gates, like Triang made in 1959 onwards.
New Concrete and steel sleepered set track (GWR used steel sleepers in 1936).
There is also a need for modern station

buildings as well as the older types of the 4 main regions with modern paint jobs and logos as well as the old big 4 and BR.

Hi Tony57, I remember seeing steel sleepered track as recently as 14 years ago in the Scarborough

area. I like your suggestion for concrete sleepers as well.
Stations could be a problem, the rival firm do a great signal box ( art-deco style ) which is firmly Southern, then their Art-deco station is more akin to London Underground ( Wembly area

ish ) so you just can't win.

Although the level crossing is a good idea, it brings with it significant problems in that the double track geometry means a lot of fiddling to get it to fit. Rather than using the Tri-ang hot wire mechanism, I would hope that the operating motor would

be mounted on a crossing keeper's cabin for gates and a relay room for a modern barrier version. I have three of the old Tri-ang ones and two have melted road deck.

I would like to see the old 1960s Triang stations re-introduced. They (and the R145

signal box) were much more realistic with the moulded brick and contemporary windows and that grey concrete footbridge with the black hand rails that came in a kit, looked much better.

I am not in favour of steel or concrete sleepers as these were rare

on main lines before the 1960s and most steam period modellers I think would not want them. I can't see Hornby offering two or more different style rails, especially as the well known track maker in the West Country already offer these.

With the arrival of the 4-Vep ( Boo, Hiss, Rasp ), the pending arrival of the 5-Bel, of course not forgetting the rival firms SR EMU's, how about some 3rd rail ancillary buildings. The power to supply the 3rd rail has to come from somewhere, and of course

it has to be distributed and monitored.

The competition do make a sub-station suitable for the 1930s schemes, but some other buildings would be useful. The large red-brick 'Cathedrals' made for the 1926 SE electrification

are quite striking. There used to be one where the Catford Loop crossed the Mid Kent south of Catford, one at Dartford Junction and another alongside the station at Barnehurst.

Hi Choobacca, I have 100yds of fibre cable which was going to be binned, not

tried it yet for light guides, do you want some for your buffer stops ???????

Oh no they don't, most of the rotary converter houses are single story. The model you are talking about is about as Southern

( and Art deco ) as a Pontefract Cake.

Thanks for the kind offer Morthoe, I think I'll pass though. Fingers crossed Hornby will make a 'plug and play' buffer next year :)

I beg to differ. The cast resin model I was

referring to is a forshortened and simplified representation of a mercury arc sub station not unlike that at Chelsfield or Bexhill Central. Agreed it is reduced in size but superficially it is a representation of a Southern Railway 1930s style mercury arc

station with an external transformer and switch gear (simplified in the model as made) within a chain link fencing enclosure. I was suggesting Hornby could counter this with one of the striking red brick 'Cathedral' rotary sub-stations, as used in the 1926

suburban scheme. These had the transformers originally in caged enclosures within and to one side of the building, until the 1954 'change of frequency' scheme when a few were given new transformers and had the rotaries replaced with mercury arc rectifiers

inside. In the 1954 scheme the BR version of the mercury arc sub-stations were large rectangular single story buildings with flat roof, but with raised louvred ventilators above the rectifier tanks. The transformers were outside, and were larger than the old

1930s ones. I have made a considerable study of SR lineside electrification structures as used on the eastern section, and if Hornby wanted it I have scale drawings of these buildings.

how about a nice trun table one that looks like a real one and not a toy the honrby one just lets down the locos they make now adays!

and i am not willing to pay £200 for the other one you can bay which is dcc ready but not 00 scale! may be a smaler

one for brench line would be nice

Ive said before, ive google imiges hornby turntable before and its possible to make it look very good, however you have to ditch half the stuff youve payed for!! And cover alot of it up with overgrowth, ballast and stuff!! So realy, if you buy it and have

to do all this then what a waste of money!!

yep i now what you are saying i dont minnd doing the work after building loco kit and scrach built some but if you pay good money on a trun table it would be nice to fit it and used it not have to put X amout of hours in befor it can be used. and not end

up with ahalf full box after

I have made up two very old Airfix single track level crossing kits and using some soldered up brass parts I have made them work - across three tracks!! These are goods yard access and up and down main line. Now I have to make a leadscrew assembly driven

by an electric motor fed by a simple relay circuit that can be interlocked with signals. It is coming together but slowly. But I will get there eventually! I picked up the level crossing kits dirt cheap at a local swap meet years ago.

You don't have

to buy everything new and expensive to achieve much.

Ah'm no mean, jist carefu'!!

• 3 weeks later...
Bearing in mind this thread is supposed to be "Anything apart from rolling stock", I would like to see more Southern Railway pre-cast concrete buildings, station platforms, signal boxes, must be ART DECO. The Art Decodesigns gave the otherwise Cinderella

of the Big Four a surprising uplift into having a futuristic image of absolute modernity.

The new signal box at Richmond was an excellent example of this.

So how about some concrete section platforms, a "Space ship" signal box and smart sheds

for emus even if they are 2-VEPs in blue livery!

Somebody called Chris Leigh makes excellent white metal (looks just like pre-cast concrete) station nameboards.

Hi Feret, work starts in the new year on my layout, the

planned one is being shelved due to work commitments so a 12' by 4' condensed one is in the offing, but I too would like to see some Art Deco buildings from Hornby ( loyalty ), other wise it will be a case of buying a card version of one of the Chessington

stations, and use as a pattern and try and scratch build. Then try and Surbiton-ise an available card model of Morden
tube station. I think the model companies have ignored the Art-Deco/Modernist buildings, before anybody jumps down my throat, the main

rivals offering will suit a Wembley area station.
Since my layout is on the Surrey, Hampshire and Brazil borders, it will not do, it has to have that Odean Cinema feel about it. I know where to get the concrete fencing, foot bridges, platforms etc, again

it would be nicer to be loyal to the company.

Archived