Pre-Grouping Stock ideas

david_abramczyk

Given that there's now a handful of engines that have been produced that were designed and built before 1923, I wonder, would it be feasible to also make matching stock to fit them.

For just one example, the Holden B12's; would they not look a splendid sight, leaving your layout's station at the head of a rake of ex-GER bogie coaches with matching livery?

Or the 'Terrier' tank engines? How marvellous would they be, trundling down a sleepy branchline to market, with one or two little rigid-framed SE&CR coaches on their drawbar?

What about it, everyone?

The Terriers, being mainly London, Brighton & South Coast Railway locos, (The LSWR and some other companies had odd ones bought out of LBSCR service!) would look even better at the business end of some LBSCR coaches....

Now some LBSCR bogie coaches would be a good idea, as some survived into the1960s on the Isle of Wight!

So, a few liveries to be used there...LBSCR, SR, BR "Red", BR Green....

Would be nice to have some genuine clerestories. Over and above the generic non-corridor clerestories [based I believe on a Great Western design] that have been round pretty well forever as it would appear. As an LNER east coast fan, I'd like to see some of the Eat Coast Joint Stock examples produced, there are a couple of appropriate engines available [one way and another] Gresley's first A1 1470N Great Northern in early L.&.N.E.R. livery which could be easily reissued in G.N.R. livery and Bachmann's C1 large boilered Atlantic 251 in G.N. colours as well as L.N.E.R. colours. What's more if the coaches were to be issued in L.N.E.R.  colours to then you'd be able to run'em with prety well all L.N.E.R. engines that are available.

• 4 weeks later...

Some slightly generic 4 wheeled coaches would be good (to replace that horrible 3 compartment one of the 1970s). Some GWR and LBSC ones looke qite similar (the bigest differences being th underframe and brake coaches).  To give a wider appeal they could be available as Annie and Clarebell!

• 1 month later...

How about some dreadnought coaches - has anyone ever produced any?

Otherwise the LSWR liveried ones that the bluebell have or an SECR 100 seater - that could be made in a number of liveries right through to BR Green.

The ex-LB&SCR and SE&CR carriages as used on the Isle of Wight might indeed be a nice addition, except of course that there are no Hornby made locomotives of correct type to pull them. I do have one of the Kernow commissioned O2s (W16) and the Hornby 'Terrier' could be "Isle of Wight-ised". The O2 does not like set-track points derailing every time the bogie goes through them, not one of my better buys. My home made Hs are much better in this respect despite being of the same wheel arrangement.

• 1 month later...

The ex-LB&SCR and SE&CR carriages as used on the Isle of Wight might indeed be a nice addition, except of course that there are no Hornby made locomotives of correct type to pull them. I do have one of the Kernow commissioned O2s (W16) and the Hornby 'Terrier' could be "Isle of Wight-ised". The O2 does not like set-track points derailing every time the bogie goes through them, not one of my better buys. My home made Hs are much better in this respect despite being of the same wheel arrangement.

What about the terriers?

A very quick pregrouping break would be the current 20T GWR Toad with larger G W letters on the side!

Just nought a nice N B 3 plank wagon. Hornby could do this and the 5 plank in Midland Railway grey using the three and 5 plank wagons they make already - not totally right (some differences in buffers and axel boxes but probably near enough)

What about the terriers?

Terriers were quite popular on the Island.

The following worked 'overseas' between the dates shown

LBSC 40  - IWCR 11, W11 'Newport'  - 1902 to 1947, returned to mainland as 32640

LBSC 46 - FYNR 2, SR  W2 / (W8 from 1932) 'Freshwater' - 1903 to 1949, returned to mainland as 32646

LBSC 50 - SR W9 Fishbourne - 1930 to 1937, returned to mainland as 32650

LBSC 69 - IWCR 10, SR W10 'Cowes' - 1900 to 1936, scr 1936

LBSC 75 - IWCR 9, SR W9  1899 - 1926, scr 1926

LBSC 77 - SR W3 (W13 from 1932)  'Carisbrooke' 1927 - 1949, returned to mainland as 32677

LBSC 78 - SR W4 (W14 from 1932) 'Bembridge' 1929 - 1937, returned to mainland as 32678

LBSC 84 - IWCR 12, SR W12 'Ventnor' - 1903 to 1936, scr 1936

In SR days they mostly worked local goods trains and light passenger branch trains including the Ventnor West motor trains, which were frewquently made up from 4 wheeled stock.

They are probably not appropriate for use with with the more 'modern' and heavier ex LBSCR and SECR bogie stock which was transferred to the Island between 1935 and 1948. However they are perfectly at home with them nowadays on the Isle of Wight Steam Railway.

Archived