R253 Dock Authority Shunter to DCC

hawksdown

My fleet of R253s are some of the most reliable runners I have. They are fiesty little beasts, noisy - true, but can pull more than you might expect for a loco of its size! I think you might struggle to get a chip in it without it filling the cab and being

visually intrusive.

Conversion is a pretty easy job, the live chassis poses no real problems for conversion. Whilst I was at it I also replaced the bulb on one of my unboxed examples with a bridge rectifier, resistor and an white LED to reduce current consumption, it cost

less than a quid for the bits. I see someone offers the same sort of lighting solution on a well known online auction site but for a lot lot more.

It is definately possible and very easy to convert this loco.

• 3 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Hi, I thought of doing this (I have a red & Black dock locos) but the chassis is live and I understand this might cause problems in converting it to DCC? The dock authority locos are great runners. (on DC). Has anyone succeeeded in doing this?

How do I isolate the chassis, I have fitted the decoder it worked once, but the next time I tried it on the track the control unit was flashing the number 10 and the shunter would not move....

Hi Ruscul, welcome to the forums.  

Did id you follow the fitting instructions as per poliss's link?

If it worked once, then it can't have been a live chassis problem.  It wouldn't have worked at all.  But that doesn't mean it hasn't shorted to something in there given the limited space.  Check that out and insulate anything that might short accidentally.

What controller is it that is flashing 10?

Hi Ruscul, welcome to the forums.  

Did id you follow the fitting instructions as per poliss's link?

If it worked once, then it can't have been a live chassis problem.  It wouldn't have worked at all.  But that doesn't mean it hasn't shorted to something in there given the limited space.  Check that out and insulate anything that might short accidentally.

What controller is it that is flashing 10?

Thanks Fishmanoz, it's a Select controller. Yes followed the link and I have insulated with heat shrink.  The v spring both sides, the red wire to brown wire connection, orange and black wires are insulated too.  

Crumbs, spaghetti! Was the loco a good runner on DC, did you check to see if there were any track pins causing shorts etc before conversion? Heatshrink on the right handside is too thick as well putting extra pressure on the motor brushes causing extra wear, you need to remove the old insulation sleeve and fit new thinner insulation to both sides of the brush spring. From what I can see the wiring to the loco is ok, the socket harness looks a right old mess, I would just hardwire the decoder in. Here's a Tri-ang-Hornby hymek I did earlier, someone had tried before but got it wrong so I started it from scratch lovely runner under DCC control. I would start from scratch again, making sure there is no contact between the brown wire and the live chassis casting.

Hi Ruscul. I'd say you have a short somewhere.

You don't need the plug on the harness. That can be cut off and the wires shortened to a more manageable length.

If you're not using lights, then all you need are the red, black, orange and grey wires.

If you want to keep the plug on the harness, for ease of swapping decoders, then you can buy a socket to plug it into.

When soldering wires together, cover the joint with some heatshrink tubing and shrink it with the back of the soldering iron.

The decoder itself should be insulated from any contact with metal. I prefer to use heat resistant Kapton Tape instead of ordinary electrical insulation tape.

Always check, with a multimeter, that there is no electrical continuity where there shouldn't be any.

Here's a different way to convert the Dock Shunter to DCC. Note that the return strip has been removed.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/85195-triang-hornby-r253-dock-shunter/

Here are some videos showing how similar Tri-ang motor bogies were converted. (Similar, but not the same.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcFMNK1Vb9s&x-yt-ts=1422579428&x-yt-cl=85114404

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7r9S574Hyw&x-yt-cl=85114404&x-yt-ts=1422579428

Crumbs, spaghetti! Was the loco a good runner on DC, did you check to see if there were any track pins causing shorts etc before conversion? Heatshrink on the right handside is too thick as well putting extra pressure on the motor brushes causing extra wear, you need to remove the old insulation sleeve and fit new thinner insulation to both sides of the brush spring. From what I can see the wiring to the loco is ok, the socket harness looks a right old mess, I would just hardwire the decoder in. Here's a Tri-ang-Hornby hymek I did earlier, someone had tried before but got it wrong so I started it from scratch lovely runner under DCC control. I would start from scratch again, making sure there is no contact between the brown wire and the live chassis casting.

Hi Triangman (son of) yes it was a good runner on dc.  Thanks for the advice hadn't thought about the track pins, but didn't see anything apparent. Agreed on spaghetti, I thought a harness would help with changing decoders if needed, but on reflection causes more grief than it's worth.  Looks like a very neat job on yours.

No probs, glad you like my work, I try to keep everything neat and tidy. I hope you get the Dock Shunter going soon. I might do a step by step for making a Dock Shunter DCC and do a step by step circuit board for the LED headlight lighting as well, just trying to acquire a demo shunter for this purpose as I don't want to convert my mint locos. The hymek above has the Sapphire decoder in it.

Archived