Hornby Class 31 Chassis rot

westonman

I had the original DCC Ready "Durch Livery" Class 31 loco. Due to the way the chasis' are made mine broke at one bogie area after the main central chassis body on the two outer edge joints. I still have the body but I can't get the correct chassis as the buffer beam sides are slightly different from the Green Livery version that was released at the same time. Though one of these would fit my class 31 body I would made the cosmetic changes needed, if it wasn't for the chassis' being prone to breaking. Anyway If any one is looking for inner spare parts for this class, I would be able to assist you for the parts you need. 

As for Westonman's question, I would say it affects all of the locomotives in is Class and another classes that have this Metal Chassis: [CAB]=[bOGIE AREA]=[MOTOR DCC PCB AREA]=[bOGIE AREA]=[CAB] the question marks are the left and right hand metal chassis struts that are prone to breakage, if you can understand my bold type diagram.

• 2 months later...

I had the original DCC Ready "Durch Livery" Class 31 loco. Due to the way the chasis' are made mine broke at one bogie area after the main central chassis body on the two outer edge joints. I still have the body but I can't get the correct chassis as the buffer beam sides are slightly different from the Green Livery version that was released at the same time. Though one of these would fit my class 31 body I would made the cosmetic changes needed, if it wasn't for the chassis' being prone to breaking. Anyway If any one is looking for inner spare parts for this class, I would be able to assist you for the parts you need. 

As for Westonman's question, I would say it affects all of the locomotives in is Class and another classes that have this Metal Chassis: [CAB]=[bOGIE AREA]=[MOTOR DCC PCB AREA]=[bOGIE AREA]=[CAB] the question marks are the left and right hand metal chassis struts that are prone to breakage, if you can understand my bold type diagram.

Oops, excuse the typos and as for bold type diagram I mean EQUAL symbols.

• 4 weeks later...

The class 31 models affected are R2413, R2420 and R2421.  Later models are ok.

I just found my R2420 with this problem.  I was trying to remove the body to install a decoder and the chassis would not come away when I undid the 4 screws.  It had swollen up against the body sides.  I then noticed cracks on the four corners of the body. 

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi. Would anyone know if it possible to get the buffer beam sides, referred to above by 2000MAN, as a seperate part? I have replaced the chasis on 31110 after it suffered from Mazak rot, but the new chassis whilst being great, doesn't have the side edges to the buffer. On the original 31110 chassis, the side beams are part of the main chasis and not detachable as far as I can see. Looking at the Hornby class 31 service sheet, there looks to now be a seperate part but is has no reference. If anyone has any ideas, any advice would be great to receive.

• 3 years later...

Welcome to the forum.

I would try contacting Hornby directly.

There are other options.

If you want a chassis, look here: https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313.TR8.TRC1.A0.H0.XHornby+Class+31+chassis.TRS0&_nkw=Hornby+Class+31+chassis&_sacat=0

If you want to get it running, I would look at the replacement good chassis ASAP - or consider selling for parts - people have done this.

It's a relatively old locomotive now, even if one of the premium models, so storage can be critical.

I doubt if there's much assistance but you never know.

Al.

but some BR 9f 2-10-0 loco chassis are also affected with the zinc pest / rot....

I know I am replying to a nar 4 years old thread, but which Hornby Class 9F models are affected by this chassis rot? Made in GB or China models? After reading this, I am worried about my Hornby Murdoch model.

GNR-Gordon-4 (HF)

Chassis rot is a sporadic problem that has affected models made by several manufacturers.

For Hornby, early China made Class 31s (as mentioned by a previous correspondent), some China-made Patriot / Royal Scot models and some of the first 2009 T9s. I have personal experience of this but Hornby customer service were very good providing I could give them the precise model reference in each case (the unique one on the sticker on the instruction sheet included in each box, not just the R number). Hornby do not have a bottomless supply of spare chassis and they still need to make a profit despite failings by a previous management! There must be a cut-off date for them.

Apparently some of the early Heljan Class 47s suffer from it as well.

I have also see 1980s tender-drive Liliput A4s and Flying Scotsmans with it.

I understand it is all down to qulsaity contol of the alloy making process. Impurites lead to expansion and cracking. Dampness and high humidity make it more likely to occur.

It is the China made models that have suffered from contamination of the mazak mix used for die cast parts.

Chassis blocks and bogie frames are common failures.

We have had at least two 9f locos affected.

In the end, we used Margate made chassis blocks to replace the China made Tender Drive models that were affected.

Some times the metal just swells, and bits fall off...

It's a chemical process, and there isn't really anything that can be easily done to stop it.

Storage conditions are not really revelant.

It is not a new problem.

A lot of early die cast models, etc, have the problem, as it wasn't fully understood at the time.

War time developments produced a more detailed understanding of the chemistry of Mazak castings.

Post war, there was a great improvement in the quality of the metals used.

That said, some late 1960s - early 1970s Tri-ang Hornby Synchrosmoke units suffered from swelling and going brittle, so bits fell off.

One of the "Railway Children" set "Jinty" Locomotives we have suffered from an exploding smokebox, due to the smoke unit swelling, and breaking the plastic body.

We have a few of the affected smoke units, so it wasn't just the one!

I would not get too worried at this stage. So far, I have only known of one 9F that had problems in my circle of friends. Since Evening Star has been made for decades and black 9Fs are also common, if your Murdoch does have problems then a spare chassis should be reasonably easy to locate.

Mazak degradation is just one of things that we have to be wary about. It does not affect every loco of the same type. It occurs in particular batches made from the same metal alloy mix.

I know that some of the early 2000 Class 50s also had a problem but not all.

My comments on storage conditions are based on what very experienced people I know in the TTRCA (Trix) have reported. Having said that, if a loco is going to deteriorate, it can be kept unused in its box from new and still crack. A collector my brother knew had a Class 31 that cracked the end cab without ever leaving the box. Back in 2015, by agreement with Hornby, it was returned and they kindly gave him a credit note because he could give them the batch details from the instruction sheet of the model.

The Class 31 we returned dated from 2005 but had never been out of its box. The tissue paper still wrapped the model. Hornby suffered from inconsistent quality problems on some of their models made by their Chinese supplier back in the period 2005-2009, as confirmed by the first China-made Class 31 and early T9 problems. I would like to think that the 2015 model is not affected.

One model, the Class 50 Achilles from 2005, apparently also suffers. However, to date, famous last words, mine is still OK.

• 3 years later...

Unfortunately there were periods when poorer quality MAZAK was used by Hornby's suppliers - over time with local moisture / humidity they corroded.

The alloy expands and crumbles - knock-on unfortunately is as you've seen - destroys potentially valuable bodies.

All is well documented if you look.

There are many 'survivors' which escaped this - different, preferable batch of the alloy.

Al.