Metal frog points...

96RAF

Hornby as we know them today did NOT make these.  These are from the old Meccano factory in France. 

When Rovex (Triang) took over the old Hornby Dublo range and assumed the Hornby name there was already an independant overseas subsidiary of Meccano called Meccano France who also for a time made Hornby Acho. Meccano France is located in Calais and started manufacturing HO scale model railways from 1960 and continued to do so until 1973 eight years after the British Hornby Dublo had folded. Meccano France continued to manufacture Meccano construction kits, and still do. I believe the Meccano kits seen in today's UK toyshops are of French manufacture.

The Hornby Acho were made in a similar manner to Hornby Dublo, beautifully and robustly engineered, but they failed to compete on price, with other manufacturers like Jouef and Lima.

So far as I know Rovex never owned the French Meccano operation.

Hornby Acho was sold in the UK separately to Hornby Dublo and is still very popular amongst collectors.

I would guess so, as they were never made by 'our' modern Hornby company, nor were they made in the UK or China, so the tooling may no longer exist, and quite frankly the world of model railways has moved on a lot since 1973 with smaller electric motors and finer track standards, I cannot reasonably see anybody other than vintage toy train collectors wanting to use such clumsy bits of track when there are more modern items available. It would be almost like asking for these -

/media/tinymce_upload/2cd5f69e52875a52ad278185fb6c3492.JPG

😆

My own point of view is Hornby should concentrate on bringing out stuff that meets present day standards and more of it and leave the vintage stuff to the collectors.

Peco electrofrog points as suggested by WTD have metal crossings, and  Hornby and Peco points can be motorised much more neatly and operated by DCC.

Perhaps what is needed are much neater pre-motorised points which takes into account the miniaturisation possible today, to take some of the hassle out of attaching seperate motors to points, but PLEASE, not those great ugly lumps of plastic that were around in the 1960s.

After all this is what a real set of motorised points look like.

/media/tinymce_upload/ed9275db1dd973d7f5009ff6dcab6b42.jpg

Archived