SE&CR H class 0-4-4T

LCDR

I hope from teasers seen on Facebook that we will be seeing a Wainwright 'H' class 0-4-4T from Hornby in the not too distant future. This is my second favourite class of locomotive, behind the 'C' 0-6-0. I have already built two out of the Airfix 14xx and Hornby Dublo R1 (cut & shut!) , but I am sure Hornby will do a much better job! I managed to buy a made up Finecast 'H' earlier this year second-hand at a toyfair but it needs a bit of TLC to make it run smoothly.  I would especially like the loco in SE&CR fully lined out condition as well as SR Green and BR lined black, so I can forsee my credit card getting plenty of exercise.

In my opinion it is the prettiest loco ever to run on rails, but I am sure plenty of people will disagree!

It would be a great companion to Hornby's Maunsell push-pull set, which it worked with in Sussex and in Kent, and was commonly to be found at Clapham Junction shunting carriages or working the GPO staff train to Kensington Olympia.

So please, please Hornby can I have a dozen 'H's?

Hi LC&DR...

Thanks for posting about the H Class.

I also think they are a good looking loco, and have fond memories of 263 at the Bluebell Railway.

H Class information...

http://www.railuk.info/steam/getsteamclass.php?item=H

I have been thinking about an R1 conversion, there was one in one of the Mags a while ago, but it wasn't a very detailed article at all!

How was the chassis converted?

Sarah,

It was, I have to admit, a bit of a bodge pinched from an idea by Ken Chadwick.

The 14xx trailing wheel side frames are cut away and some of the rear chassis too, this makes space for a home made 2 wheel pony truck, which sits behind the original trailing wheels. I struggled to match the bogie wheels at first and ended up changing them on one of the two I did, and putting a different matched pair under the other one.  The chassis is therefore a 0-4-2-2! As the join is concealed behind the cab steps it doesn't really notice.  See Ken's book 'Model Locomotive building on the Cheap'.

Interesting!

I was toying with doing something with a Tri-ang Hornby M7 chassis....

Possibly needs different diameter driving wheels.....

Hi Sarah

I thought I ought to reply since LC&DR is probably having a 'lie down' to recover from all of the excitement - it's bad for people of his age. Actually we were both born in the same year!!

I'm sticking my neck out a long way when I say that I think your suggestion is going to be hard work. The M7 is a far longer loco, with a correspondingly longer wheelbase. (If you want to use up an M7 try the LNER G5. If the end result looks good I might buy it off you!!)

Are these of any help?

NER O/G5-LSWR M7 compared

Cylinders (x2):--G5 - 18 in. x 24 in.,  M7 - 18.5 in. x 26 in.

Motion:--both-Stephenson

Boiler Diameter (max):-G5 - 4 ft. 3 in., M7 - 4 ft. 5.125 in.

Boiler Length:- G5 - 10ft 3in. M7 -10ft 6in

Boiler pressure:-G5 - 160 p.s.i., M7 -175 p.s.i. (reduced to 160)

Heating Surface:-Total:- G5 - 1093 sq. ft., M7 -1191.6 sq. ft.

HS--Firebox:- G5 - 98 sq .ft., M7 -123.9 sq. ft.

HS--Tubes:- G5 - 995 sq. ft. (205x 1.75 in), M7 -1067.7 sq. ft.

Grate Area:- GF5 - 15.6 sq. ft., M7 -20.36 sq. ft.

Tractive Effort (85%):- G5 --17,200 lbs., M7 -19,755 lbs.

Driving Wheel diameter:-Coupled:- G5 5 ft. 1.25 in, M7 -5 ft. 7 in.

Trailing wheel diameter:- G5 - 3 ft. 1.25 in., M7 -3 ft. 7in.

Coupled wheelbase-, G5 not known, M7 - 7ft 6in

Bogie wheelbase-G5 not known, M7 -6ft 6in

Total Wheelbase:- G5 -22 ft. 6 in., M7 -23 ft. 7 in.

Length:- G5 -35 ft. 9.75 in., M7 -35 ft. 0.25 in.  (36 ft 3.25 in. long frame version)

Coal Capacity:- G5 -3 tons 0 cwt., M7 -3.5  tons

Water Capacity:- G5 -1360 gallons, M7 -1300 gallons

Interesting....

So not a bad match there....

Have you a similar dimension table for the H class? 😉

Yes, indeed!

H class

Cylinders (x2):--18 in. x 26 in.,

Motion:-- Stephenson

Boiler Diameter (max):- 4 ft. 3 in.

-Length:- 10 ft. 3.5 in (10 ft. 7.75 in, between tube plates)

-Boiler pressure:- 160 lb.psi

Heating Surface:-Total:-  1104.75 sq. ft.

-Firebox:- 102.25 sq. ft.

-Tubes:- 1002.5 sq. ft (205 x 1.75 in)

Grate Area:- 16.33 sq. ft.

Tractive Effort (85%):- 17,360 lb.

Wheels:-Coupled:- 5 ft. 6 in.

-Trailing:-  3 ft. 7 in.

-Coupled wheelbase-, 7 ft 6 in.

-Bogie wheelbase- 5 ft.

Total Wheelbase:-.21 ft. 10 in.

Length:- 32 ft. 10.75 in.

Coal Capacity:-  2.5 tone

Water Capacity:- 1150 gallons

The 'H' requires a Hornby Dublo (or Wrenn) R1 body, which is probably too far obsolete for Ken's work. The other problem is that the bogie is very short and the rear wheels are so far back it took quite a few trial and error goes to get to to work and to fit a auto coupling to the rear. The beauty of the R1 is that it has the same 'Pagoda' cab as the H and the boiler is the same. The bunker, side tanks splashers and smokebox however need a lot of work. Fortunately I had some Finecast bits to help.

I still have at least one more R1 and a 14xx but I suspect now Hornby will be doing the hard work I will not be making another one.

The 'H' requires a Hornby Dublo (or Wrenn) R1 body, which is probably too far obsolete for Ken's work. The other problem is that the bogie is very short and the rear wheels are so far back it took quite a few trial and error goes to get to to work and to fit a auto coupling to the rear. The beauty of the R1 is that it has the same 'Pagoda' cab as the H and the boiler is the same. The bunker, side tanks splashers and smokebox however need a lot of work. Fortunately I had some Finecast bits to help.

I still have at least one more R1 and a 14xx but I suspect now Hornby will be doing the hard work I will not be making another one.

I have a few R1s in various states....

As an aside, how many R1 parts would go towards making a P class 0-6-0T?

Would a Terrier Chassis be anywhere near close?

I supose I should bet on a P class being the next RTR SECR loco???? 😉

I got a P whitemetal body kit cheap at a toyfair, and bought a A1X chassis with the intention of using it only to find it is just slightly too big.  I may have to build a chassis myself. The R1 is much too big for a P, which are smaller than an A1X.

The SECR P has 11 foot wheelbase  with 3 ft 9.5 in wheels and is 24 ft 1.75in over buffers.

The SECR R1 has 15 ft 6 in wheel base and 5 ft 2 in driving wheels and is 32 feet over buffers

The LBSCR A1X has 12 foot wheelbase with 4 foot driving wheels and 26ft  0.5 in over buffers

Somehow I doubt the P will be an early arrival, especially now the A1X in SE&CR livery is about, and the imminent arrival of an H. I live in hope to see a D, D1, E, or E1 4-4-0  at some time in the future but then I am ever an optimist!

Thanks again for the comparison details...

So the Terrier is close....but maybe not close enough....

The P class would be able to carry a fair amount of liveries, including the preservation era Bluebell Blue (323) and the early Bluebell Railway "Bluebell" and "Primrose".

The Bluebell line, it seems, was originally known as the Bluebell and Primrose line....

There were also the Private Ovner locos...

Three of the class passed into preservation and are located on the Bluebell, engines Nº27, Nº178 & Nº323, though Nº31178 was first sold to Bowaters at Sittingbourne as their Pioneer II, whilst one other, Nº1556, was sold to the "Pride of Sussex" flour mill at Robertsbridge but is now on the KESR. All these locos, 50% of the class total, have given useful service on service trains in the past and continue to provide special services such as footplate experience courses.

"P" Details.

http://www.semgonline.com/steam/pclass_01.html

Some "P" liveries...

http:///www.semgonline.com/steam/pclass_02.html

• 2 weeks later...

In terms of the 'next SE&CR' RTR locomotive, I would have thought that the 'P' is not ahead of the queue. My money would be on the 'D'. And not by Hornby either.  The NRM have previously commissioned models from their collection  and  remembering that Bachmann already have the tender tooled up for this one behind the 'C'. That must save about 25% of tooling costs.  It would be a rather splendid model albeit an expensive one, but if offered as a high quality collectable I think would do incredibly well.  It is SO pretty! Would go very nicely with the Birdcage coaches in SE&CR livery too.

Archived