Free Enterprise Ferry

Sailorman

When can we expect to see the Spirit of Free Enterprise 1:600 ferry released again? Unbuit examples fetch ridiculous prices on ebay.  I once heard Airfix were reluctant to re-issue this because people thought it was a model of the Herald of Free Enterprise - the ferry involved in the disaster off Zeebrugge.  First of all it is NOT the same ship and frankly if this were a problem it could be issued in Moby lines colours as the Moby Blu.

Come on Airfix ...... I know you want to!

I think you mean the Airfix 1/600 Free Enterprise, not the Spirit of Free Enterprise, which was a sister ship of the Herald, and was renamed Pride of Kent by P&O, who did a very bad job of stretching her (I know I worked as crew on her). After stretching the ship was so under-powered that if the bow thrusters were being used we were not allowed to operate the coffee machine in the club lounge! I thought it was a windup at first but it was straight up.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

I bought one today, suffice to say it was not cheap. They certainly don't appear for sale very often; I would love to see it as part of the Vintage series currently under production. I have not seen many unbuilt examples of this kit for sale so I took the chance while I could. Hopefully it complete.